Everyday Mom's Meals: Christmas Planning
_____

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Christmas Planning

 Less than 2 weeks, people! I don't know if anyone else feels like December is flying by and Christmas is going to be here before we know it, but it's so hard me to accept in less than 14 days the presents will be unwrapped, the cookies will have all been eaten (okay, probably not but you get my point) the trash will be overflowing with toy boxes and the anticipation will all be over. 

I tend to get very depressed on December 26th, so let's not think about that. Let's focus on what's coming. There is still plenty of time to enjoy all the joy and magic this season has to offer, and let's not forget about that delicious meal that is on the way too. 

When I planning my holiday 2020 recipes, I knew I wanted to offer a side dish that would pair well with ham (I think it's one of the most popular Christmas meals) and would make it extra easy on the cook with help from the slow cooker. 

Our family has loved glazed carrots forever. I can remember my dad making them when I was little and it's the only way I do it now for my boys. But I will admit, if it's a weeknight meal, I am lazy. Some canned sliced carrots, diced butter, sprinkled with brown sugar, salt and pepper. I cook them in a pan, or sometimes even the microwave and done. 

However, with a little extra time, not prep though, we can have some glazed carrots that are a holiday show stopper! These come out glistening from the amazing glaze and taste soooooo good. A little note about the ceylon cinnamon. It's not a deal breaker. Normal, every day cinnamon will work just fine. I was gifted some of the ceylon variety and love using it in special dishes. Ceylon cinnamon has a stronger flavor and seems a little "hotter" than regular. A little goes a long way, so it's perfect for this dish. If you happen to see some at the store, it's a great thing to have on hand for festive occasions and recipes. 

I hope your Christmas season is shaping up to be magical and filled with joy. These last couple weeks will fly by, and may we all squeeze every last morsel of magic out of them.  

 

Slow Cooker Glazed Carrots

2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

4 TBS butter, melted

1/3 c. packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp. ceylon cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. dried parsley

1 TBS corn starch

1 TBS water 

Salt and pepper

Place carrots in slow cooker. In a small bowl whisk together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour over carrots and stir. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours. Remove lid. Whisk together corn starch and water. Push carrots to side of slow cooker. Add corn starch slurry to sauce. Stir well. Cook for 5-10 minutes until thick. Stir carrots back into sauce. Sprinkle with dried parsley and serve. 

 

Inspired by Dinner At The Zoo

Shared at Weekend Potluck


 

 

No comments: