Everyday Mom's Meals: I'm A Giada Fan Now
_____

Monday, October 8, 2012

I'm A Giada Fan Now

Okay, so that title might be a tad misleading. Actually, I've always been a Giada De Laurentiis fan from the moment I first saw her on Food Network. But to be honest, some of her recipes intimidate the heck out of me and the few that I'm been brave to try haven't turned out that great. In no way am I blaming her. I'm positive it was me, but after a few failed attempts, it made me shy away from her recipes a bit. That is until just a few weeks ago while watching Rachael Ray where Giada was a guest talking about the first meal she had ever cooked her husband. She talked about how to him, after growing up in the Midwest, sauce came out of a jar and he was truly impressed with her homemade version! So, I was sitting here watching her, but also doing about 10 other things, and I hear her say "just leave them whole". I looked up  to see her cooking this sauce with an entire whole onion in it. Now I was super intrigued. This is truly the easiest homemade pasta sauce I've ever made in my life. Plus, it's great made ahead! In fact, I knew I was going to be very busy during the day when I wanted to serve this for supper, so I simply put it on the stovetop to cook the night before. Cooled it down. Put it in the fridge and simply reheated the next night. This leads me to believe, it would probably freeze beautifully! Thanks for the fantastic recipe, Giada! I'll be sure to have faith the next time I see you cook something I think is beyond me!

Homemade Marinara Sauce
2 (28oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 celery stalks, cut in half
2 carrots, peeled and cut in half
2 garlic cloves
2 dried bay leaves
1 medium onion, peeled and left whole
2 TBS butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot over low heat, combine all ingredients except butter. Cook on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove onion, garlic, carrot, celery and bay leaves. Remove from heat, add butter and stir to combine. Serve over short pasta such as fusilli or rotini.


Shared on Make Ahead Meals Oct. 8, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Oct. 9, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Oct. 10, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Oct. 11, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 12, 2012
Pasta at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Buy Here Pay Here

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Wow does that look delicious. The perfect comfort food. Come and visit us this week. We are having a terrific giveaway you will love.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
This looks like a great sauce that I am sure we would love. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

Looks great and sooo easy! Definitely going to try this.