Everyday Mom's Meals: If You Can Pour...
_____

Thursday, October 11, 2012

If You Can Pour...

 Then you can make this dessert! Last Thanksgiving I shared my Pumpkin Dump Cake with you in the spirit of the autumn season. The idea of a "dump cake" is pretty straight forward. You dump everything into the baking dish, cook it and in little less than an hour you have a dessert warm from the oven. What I love about them is the use of a dry cake mix making it so time friendly; and giving the cake a more cobbler or crisp texture. By using the mix dry and adding butter instead of the normal eggs, water and oil, it becomes something totally different than the prepared cake. So in that same spirit I decided to do another one this fall with pumpkin's distant autumn cousin...the apple. Or more specifically apple pie filling. Not to mention another favorite of this time of year, pecans. There is just something about the smell of apples, spices and nuts baking the oven that make me want to put on a hoodie, grab a mug of hot apple cider, and go on a hayride. This is great served warm w/ a scoop of ice cream, or with a little dollop of whipped cream. If you are looking for a sweet treat to get your family into the autumn spirit, this is definitely one to try. Or, even jot down and tuck away for next month and Turkey Day!

Apple Dump Cake
2 cans no sugar added apple pie filling
1 (18.25oz) box butter pecan cake mix
2 sticks butter, thinly sliced
1 c. pecan chips
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 c. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread pie filling into bottom. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir well. Sprinkle with brown sugar and then cake mix. DO NOT MIX. Sprinkle with pecans. Top with butter slices. Cover dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour until browned and set. Refrigerate leftovers.




9 comments:

Katie said...

I made something like this a few days ago. I hoped that by making a fall-inspired dessert, I could conjure autumn. It brought the temps here in Georgia to the 70s, so that's something! Ilike your technique with the brown sugar before the cake mix as well as the pecan addition. I'm going to try your way next.
Have you seen the new Caramel Apple pie filling? I've used that in my dessert before and it was wonderful!

Lillian Child said...

Oh, I bet this would be good with cinnamon chips added! YUM!

Krista said...

Hi Katie! I haven't seen Caramel Apple filling, but I'll be looking for it now! That sounds amazing. The pecans are brown sugar are my favorite parts too!

Miz Helen said...

This Cake looks delicious and just perfect for fall. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

genius...this looks so good. I pinned it so yum!

Rhonda's Favorites and Flops said...

I have 3 dump cake recipes and this is the first apple recipe I have seen. I can't wait to try it, sounds delicious. I will have to use yellow cake mix because I have never seen butter pecan cake mix before. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Your recipe calls for a 18.25 ounce box of Butter Pecan cake mix. I am wondering what brand you use. The stores in my area only carry a 15.25 ounce box. Is this a typing error. I did make the cake using 18.25 ounces for the Ladies Evening Guild spaghetti dinner and had good comments on it.
Thanks.
George

Unknown said...

What your recipe calls for a 18.25 ounce box of Better Pecan cake mix. What brand do you use? I ask as the stores in my area only carry 15.25 ounce boxes. I was wondering if this is a typo.

I did make it using your directions for the Ladies Evening Guild spaghetti dinner and had good comments.

Thanks.
George

Krista said...

George, I'm glad you had good comments. I actually used a store brand, and no it's not a typo. I don't really think it matters, as long as it's a standard box mix. Thanks for asking!