Everyday Mom's Meals: Autumn Picnic
_____

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Autumn Picnic

I have to face the fact that it's going to be 7-8 months before it's my favorite time of the year again. While there are aspects to each season I enjoy, I long for the hot days of summer year round. I know there are those out there who enjoy fall picnics.....I just don't happen to be one of them :) Maybe it's b/c picnics have always been a summer activity for our family. Or maybe b/c here in Indiana, the nice sunny warmish fall days that would be perfect for one, usually follow several wet, chilly ones that cause the ground to be not so picnic friendly. Whatever the reason, we are more likely to be found watching football, eating soup from the crock pot on an autumn day, than on a blanket in a park. But when I was trying a new chicken dish, that while cooked in the oven, seemed "summery" to me, I thought Picnic Potato Salad would be a perfect side dish. There are days in the summer I crave soup, so why can't I want potato salad in November? This is one of our favorite versions of potato salad b/c of the eggs and one of my favorites b/c it's so simple. It can be thrown together in no time and is perfect for any occasion. So if you do enjoy a picnic under the yellow and orange canopy of autumn, maybe this can be in your next basket.

Picnic Potato Salad
3 lbs. potatoes
5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/3 c. red onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
3/4 c. mayo
2 TBS mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Peel and cube potatoes. Cover w/ cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and cool. In a large bowl combine mayo and mustard. Add celery, red onion, egg and cool potatoes. Mix well to coat w/ dressing. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste. Chill before serving.



Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Nov. 10, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper Nov. 10, 2011

3 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

The time will pass quickly and summer will be here again before you know it.This is my first visit to your blog, so I've taken some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Krista said...

Thanks for stopping by, and your kind words! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Miz Helen said...

I love your picnic! Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and please come back soon.
Miz Helen