Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekend Company #9 {Guest Blogger Johanne}
_____

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Weekend Company #9 {Guest Blogger Johanne}

This week has been very busy, and I have come to the conclusion it's not slowing down any time soon :) Whatever your plans are this weekend, I appreciate you taking a minute to stop by EMM and see who I've got stopping by to share a recipe w/ you. Today, I have a "new kid" on this blogging block, or should I say, "newer kid"--My Favorite Dinner Recipes, is where you can find not only this dish, but so many more yummy things. I am so honored to have her here, not only to share her food w/ us, but her inspirational story. So, with out further adieu, please welcome Johanne...




Thank you so very much to Everyday Mom’s Meals for having me over for a visit! Today I’m sharing with you one of my family’s favorite recipes, my Chili con Carne, which can be found on my blog, My Favorite Dinner Recipes.  Don’t let the long ingredient list intimidate you! This chili is super easy to make and super flavorful to eat!  The key to this delicious dish is PATIENCE! The longer it cooks the more time the flavors have to really develop and wake up!  The foundation for this recipe is something my mother use to make for us quite often growing up, but I’ve tweaked it just a hair to give it a little kick.

On September 26, 2010, I was taught the old adage that patience is a virtue.  At 34 years, while at my desk, I had a stroke, which ended my 8-year law career, took the usage of my left side, my good sight, and a list of other things I won’t bore you with.  Through it all my family’s support remains constant, and my love for cooking has blossomed. What was once a boring chore is now my therapy and my art.  I cook (with much effort and supervision) for them. Stroke or no stroke, can you believe they still get hungry?  I must remain patient and allow time to slowly heal my injuries, allow my brain to slowly relearn all that I have forgotten, and develop coping mechanisms that help me thrive with today’s version of me.

So in celebration of my newly found virtue, PATIENCE, please enjoy a bowl of super slow cooked (not in a slow cooker) Chili con Carne, cooked and simmered for no less than 6 hours (4 hours if I’m feeling a bit sluggish)! You can put all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and walk away, but where is the fun in that? Saturday morning, 1st thing, grab a good sturdy 12-quart stockpot, a good ole fashion wooden spoon, all 10000000 ingredients on this list, and LET’S GET COOKING!

Chili con Carne
Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 sweet onion diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 cup beef broth
1-12 ounce bottle stout beer
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can light kidney beans
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark kidney beans
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
2 ounces of semi sweet chocolate (WHOO-HOOO!)
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Directions

In a large stockpot, sauté 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, onions, celery, garlic, and green and red peppers in olive oil until onions are translucent. Do not allow garlic to burn or else your chili will have a nasty, bitter, garlicky aftertaste. (YUCK!)

Add ground beef until it has browned thoroughly. Strain off the excess fat before proceeding to next step.

Add the Green Grind Seasoning to the beef and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Add the stout beer and let boil for 1 minute.

Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and the beef stock and stir thoroughly.

Add all remaining ingredients and stir to mix well.  Bring the chili to (what I like to call) an energetic simmer, then reduce the heat to low.  Cover and continue to simmer on low for MINIMUM of 1 hour (but I like to let it go for 4 to 6 hours), stirring occasionally. The longer the chili simmers the more the flavors get a chance to really develop. 

Remove the bay leaves and serve.  Garnish or serve with any of the following: Cornbread Muffins, sour cream, diced red onions, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh chopped cilantro.  I'm pretty boring though.  Just give me a cute little Cornbread Muffins and a spoon and I'm a happy camper!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!



2 comments:

Quay Po Cooks said...

This bowl of chilli has chocolate chips in it? WOW!

Angrestorm said...

You know, I never thought about using chocolate chips, but I guess that would work, too. :-) I use the blocks used for baking. Each block is about a 1/2 ounce. Gives the chili a great flavor and great color!