Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekend Company #4 {Guest Blogger The Black Peppercorn}
_____

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Weekend Company #4 {Guest Blogger The Black Peppercorn}

That's right EMM fans, another first this week! A man is going to join me for Weekend Company. While most of my blogging connections are female, there are a few guys who are in the foodie circle too. And since the only other male to ever appear on the blog was Alex.....who yes is a little man, but it's not quite the same, I'm very excited for this.

Steve has a fantastic blog, The Black Peppercorn and I was so excited when I found it b/c he always has something unique and creative cooking up in his kitchen: Pulled Pork Pizza, Thai Red Curry Mussels and Potato Soup w/ a Beet Reduction just to name a few. (I know your mouth is watering now) I also have a lot of respect for Steve b/c not only is he busy in the kitchen, but he is a real family man, a husband and father to 3 kids.

Grab a cup of coffee and join Steve in my "kitchen".....


Hi! My name is Steve and my food blog is The Black Peppercorn. I love food and I enjoy preparing food for the people that I love. Throughout history, people always gather and develop community around food. I am a pastor in Toronto Canada and any time my church has a pot luck, the church is packed! Even Jesus had many gatherings around food and meal times. As a father, I desire to create special opportunities for my family to gather around the table. I find that there is something special that happens around the dining room table. Within a family it can become a great place to connect and spend quality time together. During a generation that seems to be busier than ever, I believe it is essential to intentially plan meal times during the week where the family sits down together.
My family loves international food. We often have International Night on Friday's where we get to experience food from another country. We will usually have music in the background from that country or region. It is a great opportunity to teach the kids about other cultures. Sometimes we pull out a map to show them where the country is and how far it is from Toronto. Indian food makes an appearance on International Night almost as much as Mexican and whenever we have Indian food we almost always have butter chicken. This is a mild and sweet curry compared to many of the spicier kinds. The kids love it. It is great served on rice or with naan bread to sop up the sauce.


Indian Butter Chicken


Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp ghee or regular butter
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp ground coriander
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cubed
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1/3 cup ground almonds
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
Directions
  1. In a large and deep frying pan, at medium high heat, melt butter.
  2. Add onion.
  3. When the onion is transparent add cinnamon, garlic and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes.
  4. Add remaining spices. The spices are fried first to release their maximum flavour and this really enhances the dish.
  5. Add the cubed chicken and sauté stirring constantly until the chicken has turned white.
  6. Pour in the ground almonds, tomatoes and honey.
  7. Cook for 5 minutes and lower heat.
  8. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
  9. Add yogurt and simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  10. Serve on rice.





Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Steve. Great Indian recipe.I always love spicy food.