Everyday Mom's Meals: 2012 Is Coming
_____

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

2012 Is Coming

At the time I am typing this there are just around 100 days (give or take a few) left until the New Year. Yep, it's time to start planning the New Year's Eve bash! Okay, so maybe even for me, the ultimate planner and organizer, it's a little too early for that. After all, I've got ideas for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas swirling around in my mind too. Truthfully, the only reason NYE even popped into my head was b/c I was making a snack for Adam and I to share for Monday Night Football bonding time. And the minute I put it on the plate I thought "I have to remember this for our party." Now the funny part, this big party I'm planning for? It's just the 3 of us. We used to go out to celebrate, but after Alex came along, we chose to stay in and make it a family night. Now that Alex is old enough to understand he looks forward to that night so much. Kind of a post-Christmas blowout. You remember that feeling as a kid, Christmas is over, and you need something to look forward to, and help ease the blow of school vacation coming to an end, and for Alex this is it. I don't cook an actual meal that night. Instead, I put out an entire table of what we call "nibbly bits", aka appetizers. (That came when my son had speech problems and appetizers was just a tad too hard for him...lol) We have our staples we have each year, and I always try to have a couple newbies. Some of the things that are usually on our party buffet are: shrimp rings, pot stickers, veggies/dip, deviled eggs, cracker/cheese, chips/salsa, dried beef roll ups...to just name a few. But this year this will definitely be making it's debut! It's a twist on a dip/spread my grandma made 2 years ago when we were home for Thanksgiving. It's so simple, and yet so delicious--she sat it out before lunch and we couldn't get enough! By the time lunch came around we were full! Her recipe called for the cream cheese and olives only; and this time I added some capers. Why?? Because I had them, love them, and don't have enough excuses to use them! I know this will be the perfection addition to our party table and it almost makes me wish New Year's Eve was next week. On second thought....that would mean Christmas is this week and I have a TON of shopping to do. Never mind. I can wait.....

Cream Cheese and Olive Spread
8 oz. block cream cheese, softened
10 oz. stuffed green olives, drained
1 TBS capers

Put olives and capers in food processor and pulse until finely chop. Add cream cheese and pulse until combined. Using rubber spatula, scrape down the sides and pulse a few more times to insure it's well incorporated. Serve w/ your favorite crackers, veggies, pita bread, etc.
*NOTE* I topped a couple of mine w/ spicy capacolla for a little something extra


Shared on This Chick Cooks Oct. 19, 2011
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Oct. 19, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Oct. 20, 2011
Shared on Lark's Country Heart Oct. 20, 2011
Shared on Around My Family Table Oct. 20, 2011
Shared on It's A Keeper Oct. 20, 2011
Shared on Six Sisters' Stuff Oct. 22, 2011

3 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa's Dinnertime Dish said...

I have a surprise for you!! Stop by http://lisasdinnertimedish.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-was-awarded-liebster-blog-award.html

carolinaheartstrings said...

This looks so yummy. Only 100 days. Yikes! Come over and visit us. We have a terrific sweet potato recipe today.

Miz Helen said...

This looks like a great spread. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen