Everyday Mom's Meals: My Turn
_____

Friday, June 3, 2011

My Turn

Back in April I shared w/ you a really easy recipe for Linguine w/ Red Clam Sauce and it was very good, but here's my secret. You ready? Red sauced pastas aren't my favorite. Yes I know, "Krista, you make so many of them". And I do, but if I had my choice, white sauces would be more prevalent on our table. I have a few of those too, but red just seems to be what I come across when I'm looking for recipes. Don't get me wrong. I love the ziti (Oh, I found my recipe for ziti and I've never posted it, so be looking for that one soon!) and the mostacolli and the spaghetti. But whites will also be held closest to my heart. So I figure, if I could make the red clam sauce for Adam, then it was my turn to find a white one for me, and this time I'm even taking some help (ok, more than some) from the store, so even better and easier for me. Yay! Progresso makes a canned White Clam Sauce that looked really good, and was on sale so I figured why not try it. But me, being me, I can't just dump something from the can and say "soups on", or in this case I guess, "pastas on". In that spirit I am going to be adding a little veg, and a little zing, and making it a little more my own. After all, even this everyday mom deserves to cook something for herself once in a while:)

Angel Hair w/ White Clam Sauce

1 lb. angel hair pasta
2 cans Progresso White Clam Sauce
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 TBS olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. While cooking, heat oil in a large skillet. Saute mushrooms and garlic until brown, about 5-6 minutes. Season w/ salt and pepper. (Do not salt mushrooms until brown. Salt draws out moisture and they will never reach that deep brown color). Add in 2 cans of sauce and lower to simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes until flavors develop. Drain pasta and combine w/ sauce. Before serving, add in 1-2 TBS lemon juice. Add more if flavor isn't intense enough.



Manila Clams on FoodistaManila Clams

2 comments:

Tricia @ Recipe Roundup said...

I am not a fan of red sauce either! I will eat a red sauce that has cream added to it and I have a couple recipes like that. . My confession is I'm 36 years old and I still won't eat sauce on my spaghetti! I eat butter and parmesan cheese.

Krista said...

Oh that's funny. That's how I ate my spaghetti when I was little! I love a "blush" sauce too, w/ red and cream:)