Everyday Mom's Meals: Meatballs Sans Sauce
_____

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Meatballs Sans Sauce

If you clicked on this recipe after reading only the first word and are looking for another spaghetti & meatballs recipe, I'm sorry to disappoint you. However, if you stick w/ me, I am delivering one for meatballs, and there is pasta involved. To be honest, I'm not a big spaghetti & meatballs fan. Wait, that's a lie. There is one place on this Earth that I not only eat their version, but find myself craving it. It's our favorite Italian restaurant here in Fort Wayne, Casa D'Angelos. Mmmmm just thinking of it makes my mouth water. So I guess I should say I'm not a fan of them at home. I think I love Casa's so much b/c they use veal in theirs and they are the moistest most flavorful meatballs I've ever had. Add that in w/ their sweet tomato sauce (and if you remember I have told you I'm not a huge fan of red sauce, so you know theirs has to be divine) and it's the perfect combination. But I do make meatballs here at home for a main dish. Think mini meatloaves. I put all the same things in them as I do my meatloaf but they are in "ball" form. Something different, quick, and fun for Alex. (Kids will eat anything if you make it a fun shape. Remember that.) I came across this in Rachael Ray Magazine and was immediately excited b/c I've had ground pork in the freezer for a few months now and had no idea what to use it for. Why did I have it then? B/c my loving husband bought it at the butcher thinking it was pork sausage. Oops. So it's been sitting in there just waiting for a recipe and it's day of reckoning is finally here. Since they cook entirely in the oven, I'm excited about the mess free aspect too! Put the jar of sauce away, you won't need it when I'm done w/ you!

Pork, Cheese and Apple Meatballs w/ Egg Noodles

1 lb. ground pork
1 c. coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 c. breadcrumbs
1 small, tart apple, such as granny smith, peeled and grated
1/2 small onion, grated
1/2 c. chopped parsley ( I am omitting this. I don't enjoy the flavor)
1 egg beaten
salt/pepper to taste
One 12 oz package egg noodles
4 TBS butter, cut into pieces

Preheat the broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet w/ foil & grease w/ butter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork, cheese, breadcrumbs, apple, onion, 3 TBS parsley, egg, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Shape into 16 meatballs and arrange on baking sheet. Spray w/ cooking spray. Broil the meatballs until golden & cooked through about 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the noodles until al dente. Drain, return to hot pot and toss w/ butter and remaining parsley. Season w/ salt & pepper. Divide noodles among 4 plates and top w/ 4 meatballs each.

*NOTE* Instead of the parsley on the noodles, I added a few scallions chopped. I make another dish that has buttered chive egg noodles; and since chives have a slight onion flavor, I used the scallions for the same effect. I know the picture does not do these justice. The were brown and crisp on the outside and moist inside. The noodles were buttery w/ just a hint of onion flavor. Yum!


Shared on Gooseberry Patch Aug. 3, 2011

Ground Pork on FoodistaGround Pork

No comments: