Everyday Mom's Meals: This Week's New Recipe
_____

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

This Week's New Recipe

As if I don't already use my crock pot enough, it is definitely going to be put to good use now that 2 nights a week my boys are going to be absent at our normal supper time. Adam and Alex are starting a Tae Kwon Do class together! Well, Alex is starting and Adam is picking up where he left off years ago. Alex is so excited to begin learning something new and Adam is thrilled to be able to share in it w/ him. But that means on Tuesday and Thursday evenings I have to be creative on my meal planning (like I wasn't already??). I've figured Alex needs to eat beforehand, but w/ Adam already rushing to get home from work he will more than likely eat when they get home. So I needs meals that are either re-heatable very easily or ones that can be served at different times w/o losing any flavor, consistency, etc. Hence why the crock pot is going to become even more handy in my world! This recipe is one I found on the Internet while looking for things to do w/ beef in the crock pot. I'm curious to see how it turns out; and hoping it achieves my new goal!

Crock Pot Beef Stew
1 lb. beef stew meat, cut in cubes (I will probably use round steak or chuck roast)
1 lb. baby carrots
4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 pkgs brown gravy mix
1 pkg. beef stew seasoning ( I bought McCormick)

Place vegetables and meat in crock pot. Cover w/ water and stir in gravy mix and seasoning packet. Cook covered on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-12. If not thick enough, take out about 1/2 cup of gravy, mix w/ 2 TBS cornstarch and return to crock pot. (I did this w/ about 2 hours left to cook, and it really thickened up nicely.)

1 comment:

Krista said...

As an after note, I have to say that the only thing I would do differently the next time I make this is to cut the potatoes a little smaller, and instead of using the 1 lb. baby carrots, I think I will buy bulk carrots and cut them into discs. The whole carrots, even small ones, were 1. a little awkward to stir in the crock pot and 2. a little big compared to the other ingredients.