Everyday Mom's Meals: If At First You Don't Succeed
_____

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

If At First You Don't Succeed

Yep, that's me. The Little Engine That Could. When it comes to what you ask. Homemade mashed potatoes. Yep, one of the most simple things on the face of the earth to cook and each time I try I stink at it. We eat a lot of store bought potatoes (ie Bob Evans) and "smashed" potatoes b/c those are easy & can be left chunky. (There is my confession for the day) But the smooth, silky, fluffy potatoes that I crave, well, for those I get them somewhere else. Every time I've attempted them, it's been a disaster that usually leads to me being frustrated and swearing to never try again. But here I am once again preparing to try. I have decided this time though to not rely on "eye-balling" it. I'm going to follow a recipe, that I found on about.com ( I know, pathetic) Maybe just maybe if I follow someone else's plan they will turn out. I'm crossing my fingers.........

Perfect Mashed Potatoes


2 1/2 lbs. baking potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place potatoes in 4 qt saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Drain potatoes thoroughly. Place back in pot to remove excess water. Add remaining ingredients. With electric hand held mixer, beat potato mixture until light and creamy. 

Potato on FoodistaPotato

1 comment:

Krista said...

WOO HOO. They turned out perfectly. I guess I should have admitted defeat long ago and turned to the Internet for help. Oh well. At least now I know I can do it!