Everyday Mom's Meals: Soul Food Saturday #25
_____

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Soul Food Saturday #25

Welcome to the first weekend of October! It's hard to believe, but in this house September was simply a blur due to how busy we were, so it kind of snuck up on me. Today Bekki has a great recipe, perfect for using the squash that is so beautiful this time of year. I can not wait to try this one myself!!


During a recent visit with my family, we were all completely engaged in our conversation until Rachael came back from commercial. As soon as she was back on we were glued to the TV waiting for her to reveal the recipe we had just heard her mention. Double stuffed Butternut squash! What? Yes! Just like a twice baked potato, loaded to the heavens with bacon and cheeses. How could to be bad? Of course it had my name written all over it. I had to try it as soon as I could get a hold of a butternut squash. But…to my dismay the recipe had been removed from her fan page, and seemed to have disappeared forever. With that thought still in my head and a butternut squash in hand my recipe was born. Just before writing this I did a search for her recipe and found it! Thank you Internet angels! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. I never imagined it could really be THIS good! Enjoy!
 
 
Double Stuffed Butternut Squash Adapted from Rachael Ray
 2 Butternut squash
12 slices thick cut bacon
3 green onions, chopped
1 c. ricotta cheese
1 c. cheddar cheese blend
1 tsp. granulated garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
 
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place bacon slices on a slotted pan, bake until crisp. Remove and chop. Set aside. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and season with salt and pepper. Place flesh side down in a baking dish. Roast until just tender. About 30 minutes. Carefully scoop the flesh into a bowl, keeping the skin intact. Mash with half of bacon, ¾ c. cheddar, ricotta and garlic. Adjust seasoning by adding additional salt and pepper if needed. Add filling back into skins and top with remaining cheddar. Bake until golden. Garnish with remaining bacon and chopped green onions.


No comments: