Everyday Mom's Meals: Turkey Day Tradition Twist
_____

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Turkey Day Tradition Twist

Only two more days people! I hope everyone has been to the grocery store and your turkey is thawing in the fridge. Maybe even some of you have started the prep work and have some dishes already in the works! There are so many traditions when it comes to food in our family, especially during the holidays, and one of those is pumpkin pie! And it can't be just any pumpkin pie. My mom is the pumpkin pie master! And we are the people that must have it not only at Thanksgiving but then again just a few weeks later on Christmas Day! But I realize many of you are trying to cut out certain things in your diet, and those might include the ingredients in a good pumpkin pie crust. So when I saw this recipe I thought it would be a great alternative as your family gathers around the table for turkey, dressing and all the trimmings. It is rich, creamy and the best part of a the pumpkin pie sans crust. The ingredient that I was so happy to see in the recipe was molasses! I knew it would only deepen the richness and give it an even more "pie-ish" flavor. (Yes, that is a word...) Plus, if your kids are anything like I was when I was little, the "guts" of the pie always get gobbled up with some crust remaining on the plate. So at least this way, there is no waste! This can also be made either the night before, or early Thanksgiving morning and be waiting on you when dinner is ready. Traditions are such a fun, loving part of the holidays, but starting new ones, especially delicious ones, is a great thing too!

Pumpkin Pudding From Taste of Home
1 c. solid pack pumpkin
1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 c. cold milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon, extra for garnish
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS molasses
Extra whipped cream for garnish, optional

In a small bowl using an electric mixer, whisk cream until soft peaks form. Set aside. In a large bowl combine pumpkin, molasses, and spices. Gradually add milk. Add pudding mix. Using electric mixer, mix slowly until thickened, about 1 minute. Fold in whipped cream until well combined. Chill for at least an hour before serving. Garnish with extra whipped cream and cinnamon.




2 comments:

Jutta Lenihan said...

This sounds so delicious, I want to dig in right now!
I would love to have you share this and/or any other recipe of yours at Wednesday Extravaganza – my Link Party with a special something. There is a pretty nice Giveaway going on this week too. Here is the link:
http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/11/wednesday-extravaganza-5-giveaway.html

Can’t wait to see you there!

Carole said...

Hi there, today I am collecting pumpkin recipes. Please do drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post in my blog (Carole's Chatter). Cheers