Everyday Mom's Meals: Great Sale Sandwich
_____

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Great Sale Sandwich

When I'm at the grocery store, I am a woman on a mission. I have my list in hand, know exactly what I need to get and I'm going to do my best to find the best deals possible. And that's why even though I only buy what is on my list 99% of the time, I am still able to snag a great sale item when my eye catches it. And that is exactly how this sandwich came to be. All because pork tenderloins were a great price a few weeks ago. There I was looking in the meat case and I found a little over 2 pound pork loin for $5!! Well, I immediately knew it was going home with me, I just wasn't sure what I would do with it. I love pork loin, but let's be honest, it shrinks when it cooks, and a 2 lb. roast was not going to feed my family if just sliced. But a great way to stretch that meat (and this is a fantastic tip) is to find a way to shred it and make sandwiches! Sure, I could do barbecue pulled pork, but I was in the mood for something a little different. So I decided to let some Asian inspiration be my guide on this and I'm so glad I did because I got a delicious meal for not a lot of "dough". Now, the Asian Crunch Coleslaw that I used with these (which I've already shared, but will include the recipe here too)  is a great side dish to these sandwiches, but I actually prefer a small amount right on top of my meat as a condiment. If you are on a budget, going to the grocery store with a list is a must; but be sure to keep your eyes open for those indoor specials that will save you even more money, and lead to something very yummy!

Crock Pot Teriyaki Pork with Asian Crunch Slaw
2 lb. pork loin
1 c. soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
6 TBS rice wine vinegar
4 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS honey
1 tsp ground ginger
1 package coleslaw mix
4 green onions, chopped
1 pkg. Chicken flavored Ramen Noodles, seasoning packet set aside and noodles crushed
1/2 c. sunflower kernels
2/3 c. sliced almonds
Salt and Pepper to taste
Hamburger Buns, toasted if desired

Dressing:
2 TBS sugar
3 TBS white vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
Seasoning Packet
Pepper to taste

Season pork with salt and pepper. Place in Crock Pot. In a medium bowl combine soy, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, honey and brown sugar. Whisk well until combined. Pour over pork. Cook on low 2 hours. Flip pork over. Cook 2 more hours. Remove meat from Crock Pot and shred with 2 forks, or in Kitchen Aid Mix with paddle attachment. (See how here.) Place meat back in Crock Pot and cook 3 additional hours. About 30 minutes before serving, mix coleslaw, green onions, crushed noodles, sunflower kernels, and almonds. Whisk dressing ingredients and pour over coleslaw, stirring well. Chill until serving. To assemble, spoon meat out of Crock Pot with slotted spoon. Place on bottom bun. Top with about 1/4 c. coleslaw.

~Join me for Tasty Tuesday on Formula Mom~

Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Nov. 6, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Nov. 7, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Nov. 8, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Nov. 9, 2012

Pork at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

What a great Crock Pot Meal, we will just love this. Have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen