Everyday Mom's Meals: We Love You Grandpa
_____

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

We Love You Grandpa

On Saturday July 23, 2011, I lost a very special man in my life. God called home a wonderful father, grandfather, brother, friend and man. Adam's Grandpa Jerry had been ill for quite some time, but his sudden decline was a shock to all of us. When Adam and I were dating he warned me "If Grandpa teases you, he likes you". Well, Grandpa loved me! From the day we met we were like 2 peas in a pod. He "dished" it out w/ the best of them, but unlike others in his family, I would give it right back!!! If anyone who didn't know us would have overheard our conversations they would have thought he was mean and I was disrespectful, but that was just how we were!!!! Grandpa was always in jeans and a white button down shirt, and on the day of our wedding he swore that's what he was wearing. But not for me. For me, he put a suit on; and did he ever look handsome! When Alex was a baby him and Grandma Joy visited every Sunday on "grocery day" to see him and check on us. About the time Grandma's health problems started in 2006 I became their "maid" :) Once a week I would clean their house, visit w/ them and just enjoy being w/ them. Grandpa was ALWAYS outside working and was active until illness wouldn't allow him to be. I will always treasure those Thursdays at Grandma and Grandpa's and they will forever be some of my happiest memories of them. Sometimes cleaning wasn't my only duty--Grandma would ask me to cook for them too. And one of Grandpa's favorite things for me to make for him were brownies! Oh my gosh, did Grandpa love his brownies; and the ironic part, it's just another thing he and I had in common, b/c they have always been at the top of my list too! Now Grandpa's favorite was any box mix that was on sale at Meijer that week when he grocery shopped, lol.   I would make a pan of them and Grandma always said by Friday night or Saturday they would be gone!! So in honor of him, I'm sharing my favorite brownie recipe, sans nuts. Grandpa did NOT like nuts in his brownies!! So if you like them, feel free to add them. But for me the chocolate, ooey, gooey ones will always remind me of Grandpa Jerry and I will eat them, know he is looking down, smiling, laughing and teasing me from high!!

Not So Nutty Brownies

1 c. butter
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 c. all purpose flour
6 TBS cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder

 Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter and cool to room temperature. Whisk together the egg, sugar and brown sugar. Stir in the melted butter. Until well combined. Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Blend into the first mixture w/o over mixing. Pour into a buttered 8x8 square cake pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely and cut into squares. These freeze really well.

Grandpa and I at my wedding May 17, 2003
Great Grandpa Jerry meeting Alex for the 1st time September 2004


Shared on This Chic Cooks Aug. 3, 2011
Shared on Lark's Country Heart Aug. 3, 2011
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Aug. 3, 2011
Shared on Hugs & Cookies Aug. 3, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Aug. 4, 2011
Shared on It's a Keeper Aug. 4, 2011
Shared on Around My Family Table Aug. 4, 2011
Shared on Something Swanky Aug. 4, 2011
Shared on Sweet As Sugar Cookies Aug. 6, 2011

Pin It

4 comments:

DANIELLE said...

YUMMY ANNNNN EASY....A WINNER!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I love recipes with stories. This will always remind you of your blessed time with Grandpa... and a great opportunity to remind your son of his family.

Oh, and great photos of the food and your memories

A wonderful post

Julie said...

Looks really good. I will make these.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
These are great brownies and a great post! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon! Hope you are having a great week end.
Miz Helen