Everyday Mom's Meals: A Little Mexican With Your Pasta
_____

Sunday, February 26, 2023

A Little Mexican With Your Pasta

When I can combine two of our favorite foods, or cuisines, into one dish, I feel like a complete genius. I want to stand in front of the dinner table and declare "Look at what I have created, family!" Of course I don't, but it definitely gives me joy to find new ways to give my boys meals I know they already love, in a brand new way.

Back when I first made Taco Spaghetti, man they thought I was a rock star, so a few weeks ago when I was trying to think of a new pasta, or maybe even a new macaroni and cheese recipe, I could have easily said forget it, made taco spaghetti and called it a day. But of course I couldn't turn off my brain, went to Google to see what others were doing and didn't stop until I had inspiration for a brand new dish.

How can I describe this? Think Hamburger Helper, but on a whole new level. Think macaroni and cheese, but delicious Mexican flavors. It's super cheesy, has a little kick and can be on the table in about 30 minutes. Win. Win. Win.

Queso Chili Mac is sure to become a regular on our weekly meal rotation, and I am guessing after one bite, you will decide the same!

What Can Of Pasta To Use

I like small shells for this recipe, but any short cut pasta would work: elbows, rotini or orecchiette.

Where To Find Fajita Seasoning

You will find this seasoning packet in one of two places in the grocery store. Either in the Latin foods section with the other taco shells and sauces, or in the seasoning packet section with the gravy mixes. You can also use taco seasoning instead.

What Kind Of Queso To Use

You can use your favorite salsa con queso in this recipe, and switch it up for different varieties. I want to try white queso next!

Can I Add Other Ingredients

Absolutely! Instead of using pickled jalapeños for a toppings, dice some up instead. Or for extra heat, fresh peppers! Sliced black olives or black beans would be great too.

Queso Chili Mac

 Best Tips

Ground turkey could easily be swapped out for ground beef.

Taco seasoning can be used in place of fajita seasoning.

Don't over cook the pasta, it will cook a little more once added to the beef mixture.

You could take this mixture, transfer to a casserole dish, top with shredded cheese and have a brand new pasta bake!

Any short cut pasta will work.

Queso Chili Mac


Queso Chili Mac

1 lb. shell pasta

1 lb. ground beef

1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained

1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies

1 packet fajita seasoning

1/2 cup water

1 (15 oz.) jar salsa con queso

Salt and Pepper 

Shredded Cheese

Pickled Jalapeño Peppers

Cook shells according to package directions. While they cook, brown beef in a large skillet until no longer pink. Drain if needed. Mix in seasoning and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook 5-7 minutes until thickened. Add tomatoes, chilies, salt and pepper. Stir well. When pasta is cooked, drain well. Add to skillet. Pour queso over shells and beef. Stir to combine. Serve immediately with shredded cheese and pickled jalapeños if desired.

Queso Chili Mac

 Inspired by Sweet Little Bluebird

 

More Pasta Recipes To Try Next 

Philly Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet 

Sheet Pan Macaroni and Cheese 

Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Bake 

Easy Baked Ziti 

Cheese Tortellini Alfredo

Meatball Pasta Bake 

Baked Spaghetti

Copycat Pizza Hut Cavatini 

 

Shared at Weekend Potluck


 

 


No comments: