Everyday Mom's Meals: Lunch For The Week
_____

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Lunch For The Week

As a SAHM and food blogger, most days lunch consists of whatever I can find and eat quickly between household chores and typing blog posts. Even though it's not technically "on the go" it feels that way because of how busy my days tend to be. So, I am always looking for dishes I can make once, but eat all week long. That is exactly what I was looking for when I created this recipe. Oh, and I just happen to be craving chicken salad too!

I love chicken salad, but tend to make the same one over and over. This time I wanted something that was a new twist, and celebrated Spring. Not because it felt like it outside, but because I am determined to ignore the chilly temps and pretend it's sunny and warm every day. Denial is a beautiful, and in this case, yummy thing.

I think this version screams springtime. The flavors are bright, refreshing and will make your taste buds stand up and sing. In fact, if you're hosting an Easter brunch, I think this would be a perfect addition to your menu. Or even if you're only cooking for a few for the holiday, and a huge ham really isn't economical, this might be a nice way to go.

I love the way lemon and basil taste together, and when you add them to roast chicken, they turn the everyday, sometimes mundane, poultry into something really special. And the almonds. Oh the almonds! They provide just the right amount of crunch to finish it out perfectly.

If you're looking for a great lunch, brunch or even light sandwich supper idea, be sure to jot this down. Grab some bagels, bread, rolls...whatever you can find to put this one because you're gonna love it!

Lemon Basil Chicken Salad
3 large boneless chicken breasts
Olive Oil
Grill Seasoning  (I like Montreal )
1 c. mayo
1/2 c. slivered almonds, few reserved for garnish
1 rib celery, diced
1 TBS dried basil
2 tsp. dried parsley, extra for garnish
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Drizzle chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and grill seasoning. Roast for 1 hour until juices run clear. Allow to cool. When chicken is cool, shred with 2 forks or with a stand mixer. (Click here for method.) In a medium bowl whisk together mayo, lemon juice, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Add celery and almonds to chicken. Pour mayo mixture over. Stir well to combine. Garnish with extra almonds and parsley. Chill until ready to serve. Serve on bread, rolls, toast, crackers, bagels, croissants, etc.



Shared on The Country Cook Mar. 28, 2014
 

No comments: