Everyday Mom's Meals: Time To Learn {Association of Food Bloggers}
_____

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Time To Learn {Association of Food Bloggers}

There are some foods that still elude me and my culinary skills. Some simply because I haven't had time to try them, and others because they down right intimidate the heck out of me! One of the foods on the later list was crepes...until now. And I will be very honest, they would probably still be on that list had it not been for my friends at the Association of Food Bloggers teaming up with Pete and Gerry's Heirloom Eggs to sponsor a crepe recipe contest using their fantastic organic eggs. Let's face it, most of us, me included, will try anything once if there is a prize involved!


So when I was deciding what kind of crepe to make, I didn't really have to think very hard. I know they can be savory or sweet, but for my first, I wanted something sweet. Something creamy. And something I could enjoy with some summer fresh berries before they are a thing of the past.

My husband loves crepes, and was so excited to hear I was going to try my hand at making them, but had one question. "What are you going to make them in." Well, my sponsors had solved that problem too because I was provided with a fantastic cast iron pan/griddle that is designed to make the perfect crepe.

These are great for an extra sweet breakfast treat or even an unique dessert. Either way you will be a super star with your family!!

If you have foods you are frightened to make too, be brave...take a deep breath and dive right in! After all, the first time they were made, it was someone's very first try! And if there is a prize up for grabs, even better!

Summer Berry and Vanilla Cream Crepes

For the filling: 
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

In a stand mixture with the paddle attachment  whip the cream cheese with powdered sugar until fluffy and creamy. Add vanilla and mix well. Spoon mixture into large plastic storage bag and snip end off to make piping easier.


For the berry topping:
1 c. strawberries, sliced
1/3 c. blueberries
1/4. cup granulated sugar
3 tsp tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. water
1 TBS cornstarch    

In a medium saucepan on medium heat combine berries, sugar and lemon juice. While stirring, heat until sugar has melted. Add water and cornstarch. Stir well. Then using a potato masher, break up some of the berries. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Stirring constantly, cook until thick, about 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.

 







For the crepes:
2 c. flour
4 eggs, I used Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. water
1/2 tsp salt
4 TBS butter, melted and cooled

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine until the batter is consistency of heavy cream. (Mine only took 1/2 c. water) Add the salt and butter; stir until smooth. Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium  heat. (If using an electric griddle, set the temp at 375) Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.

To assemble, pipe about 3 TBS cream filling down one side of each crepe. Carefully roll up. Spoon berry mixture over each crepe and top with whipped cream if desired. Makes 8 crepes


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Aug. 22, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Aug. 23, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 24, 2012
Pin It  

*NOTE* Voting begins September 1st and I will announce where you can help me win!

Disclaimer: I was provided with eggs and a griddle for this contest. The thoughts and opinions are 100% mine.


5 comments:

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I love crepes!!! These look divine with the cream filling and berries. I'm looking forward to making this soon :)

Felecia Cofield said...

Hi Krista! You made these look so tantalizing! My husband loves crepes so I need to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

Rachel @ Khaos in the Kitchen said...

These look AMAZING. So glad I discovered your blog! Can't wait to see what else you've got!

The Better Baker said...

These looks so mouth-watering. A great tutorial too. Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck!

Beste said...

Too awesome.