Everyday Mom's Meals: Okay, Now What
_____

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Okay, Now What

Did you see my yummy recipe for Huevos Rancheros? If you did, then you might have noticed something a little different about mine than others you might have eaten in the past. Instead of a frying a tortilla to get a crispy bottom layer, I skipped a step and used tostada shells. Have you seen those before? They are like mega tortilla chips. I decided to use them for that dish because I didn't want to take the time, or make the mess, frying tortillas. Also, I really liked the fact they were about the same size as an over easy egg. They made everything easily "stackable". However, the package I bought was huge and at the end of that adventure, I had a ton left over. And that's how this recipe began. I started concocting different layers in my head, and toppings I could use, and the end product is something that my family loved, and I am convinced your kids would too. Let's face it, anything topped with nacho cheese they can eat with their hands is probably going to go over pretty well. The different variations on these are endless, so let this just be a guide or starting point. I love finding more than one use for an ingredient, especially when both dishes turn out delicious!

Beef and Bean Tostadas
1 lb. ground beef
1 (1.6 oz) packet burrito seasoning (if you can only find taco, that works too)
1/2 c. finely diced onion
1 (15oz) can nacho cheese sauce
1 (15oz) can refried beans
Tostada Shells
Pico de gallo (Fresh or store bought. I buy mine from the produce section)

In microwave safe bowls, heat beans and cheese. Set aside. In a large skillet, brown beef and onions.Drain excess fat. Add burrito seasoning and 1 c. water. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes until thickened. Spread shells carefully with beans. Add about 1/4 c. meat mixture on each. Add nacho cheese. Top with Pico de gallo.


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain June 13, 2012
Shared on Gooseberry Patch June 13, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage June 14, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook June 15, 2012
Mexican at Very Good Recipes

2 comments:

Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

Mmmmmm...that looks so good!

www.cancerinthecity.com

Miz Helen said...

Beef and Bean Tostada is one of my favorites, it looks delicious, Krista. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen