Everyday Mom's Meals: Old Stand By
_____

Friday, June 22, 2012

Old Stand By

We all have those "fall back on" meals. The ones we know we can make with our eyes closed, and they will taste the same every time. And for those who are religious about menu planning like I am, these are the ones you save to slip into the weekly menu when your brain is fried and there are no more ideas or inspirations coming your way. One of these "saving graces" for me are ham steaks. Boneless, already cooked, can be ready in no time...they are a great "please don't make me think about it" supper. Grill, bake or fry 'em~ the possibilities are endless. I usually serve mine with stuffing, applesauce (for dipping of course), and some sort of veggie. A complete meal that I can have on the table in no time and know it will be a crowd pleaser. This time however, I wanted to add a glaze to dress them up a little bit. My plan was actually to grill these, and I thought the flavor combo in this glaze would be quite tasty coming off the open flame. But when I stepped outside to light the grill I discovered we were out of propane. 100%, the "well was dry" out of propane. So back inside I came with my trusty stove-top grill pan in hand. Even without the charbroiled aspect, these were delicious and the glaze gave the ham an incredible flavor. Sweet but with a kick! Don't feel bad about having those "go-to" meals! We all need them. But if there is a chance to spice them up a little bit and make them just a little new, don't be afraid of that either!

Brown Sugar Ham Glaze From Food.com

1 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. prepared horseradish
1/4 c. lemon juice

In a small pan combine all 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Let boil for 1 minute. Brush on ham steaks before cooking. While cooking, use remaining glaze to baste ham.


Ham at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

Aunt Carla said...

I am not generally a ham eater...however, this glaze turned me into one a few years back and it's the only way I make ham on the grill. I add just a bit more horseradish since I love the bite.