Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Tricia}
_____

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Tricia}

I always enjoy when I get to have my guest today back again to share w/ us. To me food is family, so who better to share in an EMM Saturday morning than my family? For those who don't know, Tricia is my cousin and at one time was a blogger herself. In order to focus all of her time and energy on her family she stepped away at the beginning of the year, and at the time I told her she would have to "visit" once in a awhile here to treat all of her fans who miss her, including me! Please welcome Tricia back to EMM~


Good Morning! A BIG thank you to my cousin Krista for asking me to be her company for the weekend guest post today. Living 6 hours apart we don't get to see each other as much as we would like but this makes me feel a little closer to her so I'm always happy to do it! Grab a cup of coffee and pull up a chair because I have a great recipe for you today!
Do you all love Pinterest as much as I do? I am currently sorting through all of my pins and trying those recipes I've been meaning to try. I have come across a few that have been added to our regular rotation. The recipe I am sharing with you today is one I found on Pinterest several months ago, it's from a blog called Alexandra's Kitchen.
On Sunday mornings we  have a nice breakfast that my husband, my four-year-old son and I always make together. It's become our Sunday morning tradition and it's such a fun time with lots of memories being made. We made this a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious! My husband went back for thirds and he is not a sweet treat kinda guy at all!
The best part about this cake is that it can be made the night before then just put in the oven in the morning. I am writing the recipe as it was written but I have a few tips:  1) The recipe calls for fresh blueberries. I used berries that I had frozen last summer with perfect results 2) The recipe calls for buttermilk. I do not use a lot of butter milk and don't like to buy it to use only 1/2 cup of it so I have two options. I buy a powdered buttermilk mix that I store in the refrigerator. When I am using a recipe that calls for it I reconstitute the amount needed with water. The other option is to take 1 cup of milk and add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes then use the amount the recipe calls for. 3)  Letting it cool the 15 minutes before serving is important! The cake is so moist that if you don't let it sit it will fall apart!


Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest, or more- zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk

*NOTES*
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Pin It

No comments: