Everyday Mom's Meals: Be a Jerk
_____

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Be a Jerk

Ok, so don't really be a jerk, but if we're talking about "jerk" in cooking term, that's acceptable:) I was just talking to a friend last night about how parents cater to picky eaters way too much. My mom always said "this is what we are eating, and if you don't like it, it's a long time until breakfast.". She never made me something else if what the meal was didn't suit me. Too bad, so sad. And for the most part, I have taken the same attitude w/ Alex. If there is something that I know he has tried and definitely does not like (which w/ him, isn't very often) I will substitute it out. Or when he was younger he had trouble chewing steak, I would give him a different meat. But for the most part, he eats what we eat; and we have a rule--he has to try one bit before he makes a decision--which w/ Alex usually turns into many many more bites. He loves food. I think parents sometimes create their own picky eaters by not allowing them to try new and different things and not developing their palates. By the age of 5 Alex was eating Brussels sprouts, parsnips, calamari, oysters....all things most kids his age would turn their nose up at. If kids want to try it--LET THEM! Another person that shares this belief is Rachael Ray and today's episode of 30 Minute Meals was designed around introducing more "adult" flavors to kids using a kid friendly staple-- sloppy joes. I can't wait to try it myself and hope it is another "Mommy, this is really good" moment in our house.

Sloppy Jerky Turkey Joes
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 lbs. lean ground turkey
1 onion chopped
2 Fresno chile peppers or 1 Anaheim pepper seeded and finely chopped ( I will omit this not b/c of Alex, but me!)
1 sweet bell pepper seeded and chopped
3-4 cloves garlic minced
salt and pepper
1 TBS paprika
1 inch piece fresh ginger grated or minced
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
freshly grated nutmeg
2 TBS fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
small handful cilantro leaves finely chopped (I will omit this also b/c I don't care for cilantro)

Sauce:
2 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS dark brown sugar
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 lime juiced
1 cup tomato sauce

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. When the oil ripples and is hot, add the meat and brown. Add the onions, chile, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in paprika, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme and cilantro. Stir occasionally for 8-10 minutes.

In a small bowl combine vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, and tomato sauce. Stir the sauce into the turkey mixture. Simmer for a few minutes and serve on rolls.

*I will half this recipe for the 3 of us*

*I always serve sloppy joes on toasted buns from the broiler. It keeps the buns from getting soggy and much easier for little hands*

No comments: