Everyday Mom's Meals: Not Your Every Day Mayo
_____

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Not Your Every Day Mayo

From the ages of 16 to 21 I was a hostess/waitress at Bob Evans. And the first summer I worked there they had a turkey sandwich on the menu that was dressed w/ an herb mayo. It was fantastic. It was only on the menu that one summer, and I've never been able to find the recipe any where. Well, thirteen years later, I have found a recipe for an herb mayo that is the closest thing I've tasted. The original recipe, from myrecipes.com, was actually for a fresh herb mayo, but since I only have dried in the house, I changed it. I will include both for those who want the fresh and dried versions.

Fresh Herb Mayo

2 cups mayonnaise
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
2 TBS chopped fresh chives
1 TBS chopped fresh basil
1 TBS chopped fresh dill
1 TBS chopped fresh oregano

Mix all well and chill before using.

For mine, I omitted the parsley and chives b/c I didn't have them on hand. But the next time I will add in the parsley, but probably not the chives--only b/c the one I was trying to recreate did not have chives.

Herb Mayo

2 cups mayonnaise
2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp dried oregano


This is a good reminder of the "herb rule" as I call it. For any recipe that calls for fresh herbs and dried are to be substituted, always remember 1 TBS fresh herbs= 1 tsp dried

No comments: