Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekends Are For BBQ
_____

Friday, May 14, 2010

Weekends Are For BBQ

While I don't really have a recipe to share today I thought I would share 2 "gems" I recently added to my arsenal. Thanks to the cookbook I received from Adam and Alex for Mother's Day these 2 recipes are ones that even if not used a lot are great to have in a collection. Both come from "Down Home With The Neelys". And if you are a fan of their show on Food Network, you know BBQ is their trade, and they do it like no one else:)

Neely's Barbecue Seasoning
1 1/2 cups paprika
3/4 cup sugar
3 3/4 TBS onion powder

Stir together in a small bowl. Stored in an airtight container, in a cool dry place, this seasoning will last up to 6 months.

* This is the "general" seasoning they use in a lot of their recipes. It's a great one to add to a spice cupboard.

Neely's Barbecue Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 TBS light corn syrup
1 TBS Barbecue Seasoning (see above)

Combine all ingredients in a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Reduce the temperature to very low and simmer, uncovered, for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cool, and use as needed. Stored in a tightly sealed container this sauce will keep in fridge for up to 2 months.


I love BBQ but have found a lot of store sauces don't give me the flavor I'm looking for. So, I'm excited to try both of these in the very near future.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I have tried one similar to this very one out of a country cookbook and Holy Cow.....it is awsome Krista. The sweetness that is has is sooo good. It is really easy to make and it does last. My favorite recipe with this kind of suace is BBQ chicken breasts on the grill. My mouth is already watering!!! Thanks for sharing!!