Everyday Mom's Meals: Camping Trip Casserole
_____

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Camping Trip Casserole

I don't think this would actually be considered a casserole, but we have never really had a name for it, so I had to come up w/ something. Each summer my mom and I would spend 2 weeks in PA with her family. During this time we would go camping for a few days. Well, our version of camping that included a Winnebago and indoor plumbing!! But each time, grandma would make this for a simple supper. I think she used it as a "roughing" it recipe b/c it cooks in one skillet and most of the ingredients come out of a can. But the flavors all meld well and it is something I still make, in the comfort of my air conditioned house:)

Skillet Casserole Hash
4 medium potatoes ( or 1 32 oz bag frozen diced potatoes, I use about 3/4 of the bag)
2 cans green beans, drained
2 small cans mushrooms, drained
1 package Smokey Links sliced
salt/pepper

Bake potatoes in microwave until tender. (Leaving the skin on is a personal choice. I usually peel them). Dice potatoes into small chunks. Heat vegetable oil in electric skillet to 350º. Add potatoes to hot oil and cook until browned. Add rest of ingredients and season w/ salt and pepper. Cook until heated through, about 10 minutes.

Shared on Celebrating Family July 19, 2011


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This entry reminded me of something we used to make up at the lake over an open fire. We called it Hobo stew. We would use foil to make individual packets and add ingredients like cooked ground beef, diced potatoes, and corn. Close the foil up and cook on a grill grate until potatoes are soft. Add ketchup or BBQ sauce for flavor. Yum! -- Katie