Everyday Mom's Meals: So Much Ground Beef
_____

Sunday, December 15, 2019

So Much Ground Beef

I've shared with you many times how we are blessed to have "freezer beef" on hand all the time. I seriously don't know what I would do if I had to by ground beef, steaks, roasts, etc. at the supermarket every time I needed them. I know for sure my grocery budget would explode, and because of that I'm sure some of our favorite meals wouldn't happen as often as we like.

The last time we filled the freezer, is when this recipe happened. But there is a tiny back story first. Every year for Mr. E's birthday, I make his favorite Beef Stroganoff. Well, this year when his special day rolled around in July, we were uber busy, and I was a bad wife. I forgot. Thankfully, I am a great wife in many other ways, so it was over looked.

Fast forward several months later and I decided I needed to make it up to him. Great. Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff makes a tasty, hearty meal on a chilly night too. But when I went to the freezer...no round steak, which is what I always make it with. However, there was a ton of hamburger.

I had seen other people make stroganoff with ground beef a lot, so I knew it wasn't totally out of the realm of possibility, I just wasn't sure how the boys would like it since they are so used to the original.

Well, I am so happy I took a chance because we all loved it! I'm talking lick our plates clean like. Mr. E agreed it was a nice alternative, and for us, a great way to use up the ground beef we always seem to have extra of.

Sometimes taking a favorite dish and switching it up just a little is exactly what we need to keep that meal plan exciting...and of course delicious!

Ground Beef Stroganoff
2 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 packet onion soup mix
1 tsp. garlic powder
4 c. beef broth
7 TBS cornstarch*
7 TBS cold water*
1 c. sour cream
Salt and Pepper
Cooked Egg Noodles
Dried Parsley

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown beef with onions until no longer pink. Season with soup mix, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes more until they start to brown. Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. (This is a slurry.) While beef mixture boils, slowly add slurry mix stirring constantly until it starts to thicken. (This should happen quickly.) Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream. Serve or egg noodles and garnish with parsley. *NOTE* This is the amount of cornstarch and water I used to get the thickness we like. You might need to use more/less depending on what your family prefers.





No comments: