Everyday Mom's Meals: More Meat Free
_____

Monday, May 11, 2015

More Meat Free

Need some inspiration for your Meat Free Monday supper? Do you practice Meat Free Mondays? I know more and more of you are because I keep getting asked for dishes that would work. And while we aren't weekly participants, I do think these "meal days" as I like to call them are fun once in a while.

Let's see. We've covered Mondays. Then there is Taco Tuesday, Pizza Friday...what am I missing? Which ones does your family enjoy?

I actually made these a couple weeks ago when my guys were in full training for the Taekwondo State Championships. For the little guy it meant repeating his title from last year; and for Mr E. it meant going out on top. As many of you know, he was very ill last summer, and he fought his way back, recovered, and was determined to have his fight at state be his last one. He is retiring, so to speak. He will still train, and he might do some light competition, but his hard fighting days are behind him. So what better way to do that than competing at the State Finals with our boy.

Well, I am happy to report, I now have TWO state champs in my house!! That's right! They both won GOLD medals in their divisions! Alex defended his title to the fullest in a hard fought match, and Mr. E. indeed went out on top, with his last match being his best one yet.



Can you tell I'm proud? Yeah, so much I might burst.

But back to the food. Little man wanted Mexican food, but I wanted something light, and extra protein during a hard training week is always good.

These are absolutely delicious, and could not be easier. Plus, they are super light, perfect for a hot summer night.

If you need a little help with your Meat Free Monday dinner tonight, I've got you covered! Or if you just want to listen to a mom/wife gush about the boys she loves, well, I'm happy to oblige that too! 

Black Bean Green Chile Tostadas
8 small white flour tortillas 
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 ( 4 oz.) can green chilies
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 avocado
Juice of 1/2 lime
Splash Water
Cheese
Salsa
Chopped Lettuce

Preheat oven to 350. Spray tortillas with cooking spray, lightly. Bake until desired crispiness and browned. We like ours still a little soft, so about 7 minutes. In a small sauce pan place beans. Smash slightly with a potato masher, leaving some beans intact. Add green chilies, garlic salt, cumin and splash water. Cook over low heat until warmed through, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl smash avocado and combine with lime juice. Stir well. Top tortillas with black beans mixture, lettuce, cheese, salsa and avocado mixture. 



 Shared on The Country Cook May 15, 2015

No comments: