Everyday Mom's Meals: A Note To My Teenage Self
_____

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Note To My Teenage Self

It's funny when I look back at some of the moments in my life that seemed so insignificant at the time, but now I realize were glimpses into my future and signs of where I would end up. 

Let me explain. When I was little, one of my favorite things to play was cooking show. My mom would let me stand in the kitchen and concoct these crazy dishes, 99% of which weren't even edible, explaining every step of the way what I was doing as if I were talking to the camera. I think it's especially ironic since we didn't even cable back them, so it's not like I was influenced by the Food Network like I am now. I'm sure it was simply from the few I would watch on PBS

As I grew older, into my teenage years, I still loved being in the kitchen, but obviously it was more for more practical applications than playing. There were many days my mom would leave a note explaining what was for supper, and instructions for starting it. And then there were the things I could make all on my own, and feel so accomplished.

This was one of the first things I can remember making all by myself, and having people actually rave about! In fact, I can distinctly remember my dad telling my mom he only wanted this if it was my version. I honestly can't even remember how I came up with it, but to this day it's how I make it; but this was the first time I took the time to measure things, so I could give you an actual recipe. 

I'm sure most out there have their own recipe for this, but if you don't, or you are looking for another one to try, this makes a great lunch, especially if you pack yours. I also love making it into a simple sandwich supper. We love it served on some toasted bagels, but it's delicious no matter what you put it on, or simply with a fork! 

I wish I  could tell my teenage self, just how much those experiences in the kitchen would later help to shape my life. Who knew making tuna salad for my dad almost 20 years ago would turn into a career as a food blogger? It is definitely something I could have never imagined in my wildest dreams, but am oh so thankful for!

Tuna Salad
2 (12 oz.) cans white tuna in water, drained well
1/2 c. mayo
3 TBS sweet pickle relish
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large bowl, using a fork, flake tuna to separate. Add mayo, relish, eggs and onion. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Chill for at least an hour before serving. Serve on toast, bread, bagels, or with crackers. 




 

 Shared on The Country Cook Feb. 7, 2014

1 comment:

Lillian Child said...

YUM !!! This is very close to how I make my tuna salad ... I also add dill. Thanks for sharing this sweet story with us!