Everyday Mom's Meals: Soul Food Saturday #40
_____

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Soul Food Saturday #40

Well, we spent another week in a total deep freeze. I don't remember a winter recently when we have had so much snow, and such bitterly cold temperatures. I'll tell you what, I'm going to appreciate spring even more than I normally do when it finally makes an appearance!

If you are frozen to the bone too, Bekki has something that is sure to thaw you out, while filling you up. Comfort in a bowl to warm from the inside out!





This recipe just came about when I was noticing what I had in the fridge and what I had a desire for. Chicken and dumplings and Zuppa Tuscana. Yes both, at the same time. I had just poached some chicken, so I had a pot with just cooked broth and chicken ready to be de-boned. I looked in the fridge to figure out what to do next and had the idea. Why not make chicken and dumplings with kale? I love to add carrots and celery anyway so why not beef up the veggies, Right? I also love using canned biscuits cut up for the dumplings. But alas I only had crescent roll dough. No worries, I used it anyway. Loved the butteriness, definitely one to keep close, it really is that good!

Loaded Chicken and Dumplings
For the chicken and broth
4 leg thigh quarters
8 c. Water
1 Tbs. granulated garlic
2 tbs. creole seasoning
1 tbs. salt

To a large stock pot add chicken with spices and water. Cover, then bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer until chicken is cooked through. Skim broth if needed, then remove chicken from pot to remove bones/skin. Taste broth for seasoning, and adjust if needed.

3 c.  Celery, chopped
4 c.  Carrots, chopped
2 bunches kale, stemmed and chopped (yielded approx. 8 c. Before cooking)
1 can crescent dough, cut to approx 2 inch pieces

Add celery and carrots to pot. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until carrots have softened slightly. Add kale and stir to combine. Bring stock back up to a boil then add crescent pieces one at a time. Cover and cook until dough is firm and carrots are tender. Stirring occasionally.  Serve hot in your favorite bowl. This will warm your belly and your soul. Enjoy!


No comments: