Everyday Mom's Meals: Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Carrie}
_____

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Weekend Company {Guest Blogger Carrie}

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! I hope a little extra luck finds you today! Speaking of luck, I need to wish a huge Good Luck to my Monkey today who has his Taekwondo Promotion Test today. Appropriately, he is testing for his green belt. Ironic, I know. But what could be more perfect? Today's guest is a great foodie friend of ~EMM and this recipe uses something I've never heard of, but am definitely going to look for b/c it looks fantastic! Please welcome Carrie....


Good Saturday Morning to Everyone and Happy St. Patty's Day! I'm Carrie behind Carrie's Experimental Kitchen and I am thrilled to be here today to share a new favorite breakfast recipe with all of you. But first, allow me tell you a little about myself.

I love looking around the kitchen, seeing what I have on hand and creating a meal that is simple yet delicious. I love the freshness of Mediterranean-style cooking and most of my recipes reflect that.  I have been married to my husband for almost 17 years and am the mother of two girls, ages 15 and 10, who I lovingly refer to as my food testing "guinea pigs". I reside in a small town in Northwestern NJ and graduated from Johnson & Wales University with a B.S. in Hotel/Restaurant Management.  


During my weekly produce run, I came across these purple sweet potatoes they had labeled as Yama. I had to research them as I had never heard of them before. Most types of Japanese sweet potatoes are much less watery than the Western ones and their taste is often compared to that of chestnuts. They also vary in color such as yellow, orange, pink and even purple.The ones I purchased were purple on the outside and white on the inside. I decided to try to experiment with these over one weekend and decided to make home fries with them. My hubby instantly knew they weren't regular russet potatoes but loved the flavor that these potatoes had. In fact, we both preferred the home fries made with these potatoes better. They had a slightly sweet and nutty flavor and were absolutely incredible!


Japanese Sweet Potato Home Fries (Satsuma-imo)
4 Small/Medium Yama Potatoes
1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
1-2 tbsp. Canola oil, for frying


Peel potatoes, rinse then slice into 1/4" rounds. Place in a pot, cover with water then allow to soften; approximately 15-20 minutes. Heat oil in a large frying pan then add onions. Drain potatoes, pat dry then add to the pan. Allow to brown on each side. (We like ours well done so it took about 20 minutes to get a nice color on them).
Serves 2.


Thank you for allowing me to be a Guest Blogger here at EMM today Krista!


Stop by and visit me sometime, I love company!
Carrie's Experimental Kitchen (http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com)



Pin It

1 comment:

Hun.... WFD said...

Great idea!! I bought some purple sweet potatoes last fall and roasted them up with a whole chicken. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing Carrie!!