Everyday Mom's Meals: Just My Luck
_____

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Just My Luck

Oh sure, just when I start to bust out all the fall soup recipes, Mother Nature laughs in my face and sends warm temps back our way. Well, sorry, the ingredients have been bought and I'm not changing my plans! So it's supposed to be 80º tomorrow--too bad. My family is having soup for supper; and just any soup--one of our favorites. I got it out of a Taste of Home magazine years ago, and to this day we still enjoy it just as much as that very first time!

Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup
1 small onion chopped
4 TBS olive oil (extra if needed)
2 TBS butter (extra if needed)
2 garlic cloves minced
6 cans chicken broth (plus some water) I use 2 boxes and add some water and bouillon if necessary
3 medium carrots diced
2 ribs celery diced
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 tsp. dried basil
1 lb. package medium
1 lemon juiced
1 package chicken tenders cut into bite sized pieces
salt/pepper to taste

In stock pot saute onion, carrot and celery in 2 TBS oil and 1 TBS butter. Add remaining butter and oil, extra if needed, and add chicken and garlic. Cook and stir until chicken lightly browned. Stir in broth, peas, basil and s/p. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add noodles, cover and simmer 8-10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in lemon juice just before serving.


*NOTE* If made ahead, or leftovers, make sure to have extra broth b/c the noodles will absorb lots!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shared this recipe with me long before you began blogging! I roast the chicken, use kluski noodles. The addition of the lemon is what makes the soup outstanding!

Krista said...

I have started roasting chicken in a lot of recipes that call for "cooked chicken" too. I think it gives it much more flavor! I just haven't gotten around to making this yet w/ it. Thanks!!

Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers said...

sounds yummy!

I busted out the soup recipes the other day too!