Everyday Mom's Meals: Cabbage Lovers
_____

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Cabbage Lovers

I think cabbage gets a bad wrap sometimes. It seems to be one of those love it or hate it vegetables. Even people who will eat coleslaw will hate on cabbage. Um...okay.

Our family can't get enough cabbage and I am always looking for new recipes to utilize it. Now the little guy isn't as big of fan as the rest of us; but he loves Brussels sprouts ( I know, makes no sense) so I don't push the subject. My kids are so NOT picky that when they find something they truly don't enjoy, as long as they express that without whining or complaining, I won't make them eat it. 

My latest cabbage craving came when I was meal planning, in need of side dishes, and I wanted a casserole. I started reading different recipes, but couldn't quite find exactly what I was after, until I stumbled upon this one. 

Amish Cabbage Noodle Casserole has easy ingredients, is perfect with any protein and has similar flavors to my Fried Cabbage & Noodles, our favorite cabbage recipe of all time!

If you are looking for new ways to get more cabbage into your meal plan, this casserole is just what you need. And I won't lie, I think it would be a great recipe to keep in the back of your mind for the holidays too! Something different to add to your table alongside all those traditional dishes we are looking forward to! 

Amish Cabbage & Noodle Casserole

What Kind Of Noodles To Use? 

My pick was medium egg noodles, but any size would work. You really want egg noodles and not a macaroni or dried pasta though.

What Kind Of Cabbage To Use?

Don't get fancy here. Good ol' green cabbage is all you need. As much as I enjoy other varieties I have no idea if/how they would work.

What Kind Of Cheese To Use?

Monterey Jack was my pick because I wanted the marbled coloring and flavor of white and yellow cheese. Mozzarella or Swiss would be great too. 

Do I Have To Use Cream Of Potato Soup?

I know many people don't like using condensed cream soups. However, I use them a lot in cooking, so I can't really provide a good substitution, other than saying cream of celery would be delicious too. 

Best Tips:

If your cream of potato soup has chunks of potato in it, simply use a slotted spoon to remove them. 

Cream of celery or mushroom soup could also be used.

Egg-less egg noodles would work too. 

If you cut recipe in half, still bake in a 9x13 dish.

Store leftovers in a covered dish in the fridge for 2-3 days. 

I have no idea if this would work in a Crock Pot. If you try it, let me know!

 

Amish Cabbage Noodle Casserole

2 TBS olive oil

1 medium head green cabbage, thinly sliced

1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

3 TBS fresh parsley, chopped

16 oz. medium egg noodles

2 cans cream of potato soup, potato chunks removed

2 cups milk

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese 

Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray. In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Sauté cabbage, onion and garlic until slightly brown and tender. Season with salt, pepper and two tablespoons parsley. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain well. In a medium bowl whisk together soup and milk until smooth. Combine noodles, cabbage mixture and soup mixture and stir well. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Top with cheese and extra black pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with remaining parsley before serving. 

Amish Cabbage Noodle Casserole

Inspired By All Free Casserole Recipes

 

No comments: