Everyday Mom's Meals: Hello October
_____

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Hello October

Welp, I can't deny it any more. With the arrival of October, I guess summer is officially over. Yes, I know the first day of fall was a couple weeks ago, but I was hanging on with all my might! I will admit though, so far it has been an easy transition because we've been having some beautiful weather! Sunny, warm days, with not a cloud in the sky. But just when we were getting cocky about it, the last 2 have been dreary and rainy, 

With the cooler, sometimes wet days, and the fact it is dark by 7:30 (soon to be even earlier!) I have soup on the brain all the time. When I'm making my meal plan I find myself having to make sure I'm not getting into a rut. Soup, chili, chowder, stew...there are SO many I can't wait to enjoy, but let's face it I've got plenty of time since the cold weather months always drag on. 

My go-to chili recipe will forever by my Crock Pot Chili, which is always a hit, and so easy it's one of those recipes you can memorize after making it a few times. 

But as good as my classic chili is, recently I found myself craving something different, and shock of all shocks, a copycat recipe came to mind. I wanted Wendy's chili, but didn't want to leave my house. I knew there would be a copycat recipe on the internet, but who knew there would be so many! So after reading what was probably close to a bazillion....yes it was that many, don't doubt me, I took a little something from many and started cooking.

My oh my! This is so close to the original, if I close my eyes, I would swear I just hit the drive-thru! For me, the things that set Wendy's chili apart from many, mine included, is the two types of beans, peppers and celery. My grandma always used kidney beans in her chili, and while I don't for mine, for this one, they are a must! 

We love this topped with cheese, diced jalapenos and oyster crackers. Sour cream, avocado and diced onions would be wonderful too. If you know anything about Wendy's you know a cup of chili and a baked potato are the perfect combo...so that would be a great use for some of the leftovers the next day. A big scoop of this down over a fluffy baked potato...mmmm good! 

I hope you are enjoying fall thus far. Get out there to the pumpkin patch, apple orchard or fall festival! When you come home know you can have a big bowl of chili to warm you up, and celebrate all that soup season has to offer!

Copycat Wendy's Chili

2 lbs. ground beef

1 (29 oz.) can tomato sauce

3 celery ribs, finely chopped

1 green bell pepper, finely chopped

1 medium white onion, finely chopped

2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans, drained

2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained

2 (15 oz.) cans pinto beans, drained

2-4 TBS chili powder

1 TBS cumin

1 TBS sugar

2 c. water

2 beef bouillon cubes 

Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown beef until no longer pink. Remove. In leftover drippings, saute onion, pepper and celery until soft. Return beef to pot. Add beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, sugar, water, bouillon, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for for 45 minutes-1 hour covered. Serve with favorite toppings.


 Shared at Weekend Potluck