Everyday Mom's Meals: Mother's Day Cookout
_____

Monday, May 2, 2016

Mother's Day Cookout


Yes, if you haven't been paying attention to the calendar, we are now only 6 days away from Mother's Day. (For you guys out there, I know what you're thinking..."Oh good, I've still got 5 more days to shop!") But some of us are already planning how we will treat mom to a special day; and for many of us, that will include a meal!

If we are lucky here in Indiana, and the weather cooperates, we will actually be having a cookout with my parents to celebrate the day. With this being the first Mother's Day my mom is without hers (Grandma passed away back in March) we wanted to make sure mom has an extra happy day with all of us around.

What type of meal are you planning for Sunday? If it includes any type of grilling out, or barbecuing, have I got a treat for you. Mom love tater salad? Well then, have I got a treat for her!

This was actually a recipe I came up with for my little guy. He LOVES loaded mashed potatoes, and had been asking me to make them for weeks. But to be honest, I'm in total "summer time" foods mode. All I can think about are dishes that show up more when it's warm out. I don't care if the weather hasn't been cooperating, it is what my taste buds are craving.

So, simple solution. Take all the same flavors and put them into a backyard barbecue, picnic in the park, cookout take along, friendly potato salad. After all, potatoes, cheese, onions and bacon are going to be mouth watering delicious any way you serve them!

Rather you're looking for some side dishes for mom's special day, or planning ahead for those graduation parties and family reunions this summer, this will definitely be one you want to keep in mind!

Loaded Potato Salad
7 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 lb. bacon, cooked crispy and chopped, reserve a little for garnish
3 large green onions, chopped
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, reserve a little for garnish
3/4 c. sour cream
6 TBS mayo
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Chives, for garnish

In a large pot, cover potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until just fork tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set in fridge until completely cool. Mix potatoes, bacon, green onions and cheese in a large bowl. In a medium bowl stir together sour cream, mayo, salt and pepper.  Pour over potato mixture and mix well. Garnish with extra cheese, bacon and chives. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. 




No comments: