Everyday Mom's Meals: A St. Patrick's Day Twist
_____

Monday, March 16, 2015

A St. Patrick's Day Twist

If you haven't been paying attention to the calendar, St. Patrick's Day is tomorrow, and if you are still looking for some inspiration for your "green" dinner, you've come to the right place.

I will admit, St. Paddy's Day isn't really a big deal in our house. Sure, I have a few decorations up, Alex always wants to wear green, but besides that, we don't do much to celebrate. We are way past the age of going out for some green beer, and with a kid, unless gifts are involved, it's not a real holiday.

However, I do try to serve something festive or Irish inspired for dinner. It's a simple way to acknowledge the day, and hey, we gotta eat. And to me, nothing says March 17th more than cabbage. So, you know I was excited when I first saw this recipe! A simple stew perfect for a holiday on a weekday.

If you've never added cabbage to your soups or stews, you are really missing out. It adds such flavor and really keeps its consistency well. If I'm making a stew, I want a dish that we can really sink our teeth into. Big chunks of meat, potatoes and veggies that will fill us up!

This would make a fantastic supper for your St. Patrick's Day tomorrow night. Sure, you can go with something a little more traditional like Corn Beef and Cabbage, or even my Crock Pot Irish Stew, but why not switch things up a bit and put a yummy twist on your holiday this year? 

Cabbage and Sausage Stew
1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into half moons
5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 small head cabbage, chopped
2 TBS vegetable oil
3 medium carrots, diced
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
6 c. chicken broth
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of celery soup
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 TBS butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned on all sides. Add onion and carrots. Saute' until tender. Add butter, cabbage, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, ladle out some of the soup liquid. Add condensed soup. Whisk to combine. Add back in soup. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Cook for additional 15 minutes. *NOTE* I actually made this in the afternoon and let it sit on the stove (off) covered, and reheated at supper time. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Like this recipe. Can you make in the crock pot & how long would you cook it? Thanks for any info.

Krista said...

I'm not sure since I've never tried it. If I were to make it in the slow cooker I would still brown the meat, and sauté the veggies. Then I would let it cook on LOW for a few hours and then add in the condensed soup as per the recipe. But this is totally a guess off the top of my head.