Everyday Mom's Meals: Favorite Sandwich
_____

Monday, January 12, 2015

Favorite Sandwich

One of my favorite sandwiches of all time is the all American Philly Cheese Steak. Those that know me really well assume this is because my parents hail form Pennsylvania, and most of my family is still back there. And it's a good guess, and makes for a very nice story, but here is my secret. For the hundreds of times I've been to the Quaker State in my life...I have never been to Philadelphia! 

Does that seem crazy to you? Maybe not so much once I explain. See, we live about 30 minutes from the Ohio state line. And where we visit in Pa, is about the same distance on the other side. It's about a 6 hour drive; but to then visit the City of Brotherly Love, it's another almost 6 hours! Yes, it's a huge state, and we've just never ventured that south into it. 

So while I have never had a traditional cheese steak, in the city where it was born, I have had lots of others. And before purists send me emails telling me this recipe is missing some things, and adding others, I'm aware. When I have a cheese steak, it has peppers, onions, and Provolone. I know. I know. Others are made differently. It's okay. Variety is a good thing. 

I love taking flavors of one favorite dish and using them in another application, especially when it's another favorite. So, a #1 sandwich in my world turned into an easy to make, weeknight friendly, casserole is a match made in heaven. 

Be sure to read the note in the recipe so you know your options when it comes to the biscuits, and my reasoning for baking them the way I do. 

Do you have a favorite sandwich you think might make a great casserole? Tell me about it in the comments!

Philly Cheese Steak Casserole
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
8 slices provolone cheese
2 TBS butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 green peppers, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16.3 oz.) Grands biscuits
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. In a large skillet, cook beef and mushrooms, seasoned with salt and pepper until browned. Drain if necessary. Place in baking dish. Arrange cheese over beef mixture. In same skillet, melt better and saute onions and peppers until tender-crisp. Stir in garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Spoon over cheese. Cover and bake for 35-40 minutes. Bake biscuits according to package directions. When ready to serve, spoon beef and pepper mixture over bottoms of biscuits and top with other half. *NOTE* You can also top the beef mixture with the uncooked biscuits, do NOT cover, and bake for same amount of time, but the bottoms can become a little soft, which we don't enjoy, so I bake them separately. 






Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 16, 2015


No comments: