Everyday Mom's Meals: Sandwich Night
_____

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sandwich Night

Do you do sandwich night at your house? If not, you're kinda missing out. I don't mean to be that blunt, but it's true. I love a good sammy; and they can be a such a simple, comforting meal at the end of a tiring day. I find myself planning them about once a week; and am constantly on the lookout for new ones! 

If you don't think of sandwiches as a substantial meal on a weeknight, let me explain. I'm not talking about the run of the mill peanut butter and jelly, or turkey on wheat. The kind of sandwiches I love to serve for supper, are hearty...filling...eat like a meal!! But they are still simple. That's a must. When I know I have sandwiches planned for dinner, I look forward to it because that means I get to somewhat relax during meal time. So if little effort is part of the goal, I don't want something that takes a lot of time, or is complicated. In fact, many times the sandwiches I fix are more of an assembly process than a recipe; and this is one of those.

I'm guessing some of you might even have everything you need for these already in your kitchen. Don't you love when that happens? That just makes simple sandwich suppers even better! Plus, these are totally adaptable to your favorites. Like a different kind of ham? Okay. Maybe honey mustard? Fine. Enjoy provolone instead of Swiss? Great. You can totally make them to fit your tastes. But however you plan on making them, make sure you have big plates because this aren't skimpy sammies! They are B.I.G.

If you don't usually think of sandwiches as a filling, appropriate supper after a long day when the family is starving and it's your job to satisfy their hunger, this just might be the recipe that changes your mind! 

Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
12 slices Texas toast, buttered on both sides
24 slices black forest ham
6 slices Swiss cheese
1/4 c. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 c. finely shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1-2 TBS dried parsley

Preheat oven to 350. In the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish, spread mustard evenly. Place 6 slices of bread, butter side down in dish. Top each slice with 2 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese. It's okay if they overlap a little. Top each with another slice of bread, butter side up. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, liberally. Press cheese down slightly to adhere. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. In the last 5 minutes, sprinkle with parsley. Press slightly. When finished baking, allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan. 


+


Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 10, 2014

1 comment:

The Better Baker said...

OOOOHHH WOW! I have just what I need to make these. What a grand idea! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck...and for the link back. Keep em comin' and enjoy a great week ahead. And don't forget to come back to party with us again next week.;-}