Everyday Mom's Meals: Still Time For A Picnic
_____

Monday, September 9, 2013

Still Time For A Picnic

We are a picnic loving family. It's one of our favorite summertime rituals. But with Labor Day behind us, and the stores filling up with pumpkins and scarecrows, I have got to face the fact autumn is well on it's way. It's knocking on the door, just waiting for us to answer.

But there is no doubt we've still got some warm, sunny days ahead of us (I love Indian Summer days!!), so why not enjoy a picnic then too? Sounds like a great idea to me; and I've got the perfect dish for you picnic basket.

My mom and grandma have been making this macaroni salad for as long as I can remember. And I must admit, while I'm happy to be continuing the tradition, no matter how many times I make it myself, it will never taste as good as theirs. Never. I've given up!

If you love hard boiled eggs, or you love green olives, this pasta salad is going to become your new favorite. They are definitely what makes it unique and stand out from others I've had before. I can tell you first hand, I've seen this sitting on a table at a pot-luck, with other pasta salads, and it is always the first to go. Everyone loves it. Simple but scrumptious, those are the two perfect words to describe it.

Now, many of you might read this and say "I don't use Miracle Whip, will mayo work." Quite frankly, no. I am a mayo lover and 99% of the time it is all I have in the house, but when I know I'm going to be making this, I have to buy the other. Why? Well, first off, it is what grandma and mom have always used, and that means I don't mess with it. But I actually have tried it with mayo before, and it just doesn't taste the same. The "whip" has a little more tangy flavor, marrying so well with the mustard and briny olives. I guess to be fair though, you won't have anything to compare it to, so if you want to use mayo, I'm sure it will still be yummy, it's just not what our family is used to; and I always want to be completely honest with you.

If you live in an area of the country where it is picnic weather year round...lucky you! You can enjoy this anytime. But if you're like us, just trying to fit in a final picnic or backyard barbecue of the season before the autumn leaves begin to fall, be sure to add this to your menu!

Mom's Macaroni Salad
1 lb. rotini pasta, cooked, rinsed and drained
1 ( 10 oz.) jar green olives, sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 1/2 c. Miracle Whip (mayo does NOT taste the same in this dish)
3 TBS mustard
3 TBS sweet relish
1 tsp. celery seed
Salt and Pepper to taste
Paprika, for garnish

In a large bowl combine pasta, olives,  eggs and onions. In a small bowl whisk together Miracle Whip, mustard, relish, celery seed, salt and pepper. Pour over pasta mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and chill until serving, at least 2 hours. Before serving, stir again and sprinkle with paprika.




Shared on The Country Cook Sept. 13, 2013

1 comment:

Janet D. said...

This version of macaroni salad is the only one served at all gatherings when I was young! It is delicious and much anticipated at picnics.