Everyday Mom's Meals: Only Two Hours
_____

Monday, April 15, 2013

Only Two Hours

Like many of you, the Crock Pot recipes I usually cook are the "low and slow", cook all day types of dishes. Let's face it, that's why we love our Crock Pots. But here is a little secret about me. Ninety-nine percent of the time when I plan those meals, they are prepared on days when I'm going to be home all day. Why? Well, I'm a little OCD when it comes to my Crock Pot cooking. See, I am a checker, a stirrer if you will. Yes, even though I know that for every time I take the lid off the Crock Pot while cooking I loose 30 minutes of cooking time, (Did you know that? It's true, because of the heat being released.) I can't help myself. If I have something in there all day, I have to check it. I have to stir it. I have to taste test it. Silly, yes I know, but hey, the stuff still turns out yummy, so no complaints!

But my days at home are getting fewer and farther between. Now, will I leave something to cook all day? Sure I will. Have I don it before? Sure I have. Do I prefer not to? Of course I do. But that means planning my slow cooker meals is sometimes a bit tricky around our busy schedules. So you can imagine my delight when I found this little gem. It only takes 2 hours to cook, beginning to end! Well maybe 2 hours and 10 minutes with prep time. That means I can come home after a busy day, after getting Alex from school and still have a Crock Pot meal done and on the table in time for supper. Plus, I can stir, check, taste, and recheck all I want within those two hours!

Now, I served this with a pre-packaged rice mix because they were on sale the week before for less than a dollar, and sometimes even though I know they aren't the healthiest for us, the bargain calls my name and I pick them up anyway. But if you want a great fried rice recipe this would top off very nice, click here for my homemade version that is easy and tasty.

If you are a "fix it and forget it" kind of slow cooker, my hat is off to you. For while I can do , it's not my first choice. But even if you are, I bet this two hours only dish might just peak your interest too! Not to mention awaken your taste buds!

Crock Pot Chicken Teriyaki Adapted from Crock Pot
1 (1.25) lb. package chicken tenders, cut into medium pieces
6 oz. pineapple juice
1 TBS molasses
1 TBS vegetable oil
1 TBS minced fresh ginger
1 TBS minced garlic
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 TBS Asian seasoning blend (I like this one), plus extra for garnish
1 TBS sugar

Combine all ingredients in Crock Pot. Cook on LOW for 2 hours. Serve chicken and sauce over rice if desired. Sprinkle with extra seasoning blend.
*NOTE* To easily peel fresh ginger, scrape it with the back of a spoon. Also, when measuring the molasses, use the same TBS you used for the vegetable oil. The molasses will slide right out!


Shared on Make Ahead Meals Apr. 15, 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Apr. 16, 2013
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Apr. 17, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Apr. 18, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Apr. 19, 2013
Asian at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

7 comments:

NOVA Frugal Family said...

Funny! I usually am at home with the crock pot running too. Do you leave with the dishwasher or the washing machine running? Is it just a cooking thing or is it all appliances??? This looks like a really yummy dish and super easy!

Mommy Minded said...

Yummo!

Mommy Minded said...

LOVE it all!

Mommy Minded said...

LOVE it!

Krista said...

@Allison, most of the time no I will not leave anything running. Sometimes if I am headed out and they are at the "end" of the cycle maybe, but for the most part I'm here when all appliances are being used. LOL

Miz Helen said...

Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Hope to see you soon!
Miz Helen

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen