Everyday Mom's Meals: Loving My Crock Pot Even More
_____

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Loving My Crock Pot Even More

As I am typing this, I have now been without an oven for almost two weeks! (Now remember, I blog ahead, so hopefully by the time this actually posts, that problem will be a thing of the past. But knowing repair shops, and the time it takes to order parts, and time to install it, etc, I'm not going to hold my breath!)

So you can imagine my frustration when I decided to create a recipe based on Stuffed Peppers, but pizza inspired, and then realized I would have to figure out how to slow cook them instead of bake, because let's face it...those aren't fitting in the toaster oven!

Luckily I was able to take my ideas, add a few from another recipe I found, and use their cooking instructions to develop them for the Crock Pot.

If your family loves stuffed peppers like mine, they will flip for these! Think all the flavors of a supreme pizza stuffed inside a pepper for easy access! Not to mention, it's a fantastic recipe to adapt for the number of people in your family. And if your kids normally turn their noses up at stuffed peppers...then maybe, just maybe these will pass inspection a little easier since you can tell them they taste like pizza, just without the crust; and let's face it, a lot of little ones don't eat the crust any way, so they won't even miss it!

I am always a huge fan of my Crock Pot, but without a working oven, it's quickly becoming an even better friend to me. If it weren't for it...I might just be ordering take out every night. Mmmm....maybe the Crock Pot should hide for a bit...that sounds a bit like a cooking vacation! Just kidding...

 Crock Pot Pizza Stuffed PeppersAdapted from Betty Crocker
4 large green bell peppers
1/2 c. orzo pasta, cooked to package directions an drained
5 large white button mushrooms, diced
1 lb. Italian sausage
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 (15 oz.) can pizza sauce
1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. water
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet, brown sausage until no longer pink. When sausage is almost done, add mushrooms and brown. Drain if necessary. Add in pizza sauce, orzo, seasoning and 1 c. cheese. Stir until mixed well. Cut tops off peppers and set aside. Remove seeds and ribs from peppers and rinse. (If they won't stand up on their own, slice a tiny bit off bottom to make flat.) Fill peppers with filling and replace tops. Spray Crock Pot with cooking spray. Add water. Place peppers in, standing up. Cook on LOW 4-5 hours. In the last 10 minutes, remove tops, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook until cheese is melted. To remove, carefully use a slotted spoon and tongs, but do not squeeze.
 





Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Apr. 24, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Apr. 25, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Apr. 26, 2013

2 comments:

Mary Neumann said...

Hi Krista, What a great Crock-pot share! Pinning...I can't wait to make this one! Thank you!!! Hope you and your oven reunite soon :)

Miz Helen said...

We love Stuffed Peppers and these look so good. Your recipe is fabulous and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and come back soon!
Miz Helen