Everyday Mom's Meals: Healing Cravings
_____

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Healing Cravings

So a few weeks back I spent 5 days in a row going from the bed to the couch, and back again. I was sick. Very sick w/ bronchitis and a sinus infection. It's been a very long time since I felt that horrible and literally shut down for a week! Thankfully by the weekend I was feeling better and able to get out and about again. It was still a couple days though until I was 100%, but when I was my stomach was screaming at me to fill it; and it didn't want just anything, I was craving Mexican food and lots of it! After not eating much for that many days in a row, I was starving! Okay, so maybe not starving, but I felt like I was; and I'm not sure why Mexican cuisine was the first thing I wanted. I mean, I love it, but it's not usually the "go-to" post illness food I gravitate towards. But this time I wanted it, and lots of it! So I figured it was the perfect time to try a recipe a friend had given me a couple months ago. (I have no idea where she got it, so if you recognize it, please let me know!) And I was right! These were delicious, really hit the spot and totally satisfied my craving. I used roasted chicken, shredded in the Kitchen Aid (to see how click here) but any cooked chicken will do. My friend said she's used boiled, poached and even left over rotisserie from the deli. Don't be scared of the two cans of green chiles. The heat level is very low, and kids will be able to enjoy them too. I'm so thankful to be feeling better, eating again and enjoying all the foods I love so much!

Chicken and Green Chile Enchiladas
1 (1.5 lb) package chicken tenders (You need 3 c. cooked chicken)
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 oz. whipped cream cheese, softened
2 (4oz) cans chopped green chiles, drained
2 TBS chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
2 TBS butter
1/2 c. white onion, finely minced
2 TBS flour
1/3 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. milk
1 (7oz) can green enchilada sauce
1/2 c. sour cream
8 oz. Fiesta Blend shredded cheese
7-8 flour tortillas (I could only fit 7 in my pan)

Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet w/ aluminum foil. Place chicken tenders on pan, drizzle w/ olive oil and season w/ salt and pepper. Gently rub to coat. Roast for 30 minutes until juices run clear. Allow to cool 10 minutes and shred using hands, 2 forks or stand mixer.When chicken is shredded, add cream cheese, 2 cans of chiles, 2 TBS cilantro and mix well. Set aside. In a large pot heat butter to medium. Saute onions until tender, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle w/ flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil and stir until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add enchilada sauce, sour cream and season w/ salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine until smooth. Reduce oven to 375. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and add enough sauce to cover bottom. Place about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle w/ about 1 TBS shredded cheese. Roll each up and place seam side down in pan. Pour cream sauce over top and sprinkle w/ remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until brown, bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle w/ cilantro to garnish.

~Join me for Tasty Tuesday on Formula Mom~


Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box May 1, 2012
Shared on Chef in Training May 1, 2012 
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 2, 2012 
Shared on Newlyweds Blog May 2, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 3, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook May 4, 2012 
Shared on Gooseberry Patch May 16, 2012

5 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa's Dinnertime Dish said...

These sound like creamy, cheesy goodness, Krista!

Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls said...

There's nothing better than green chile for helping you back from sickness! Sorry you've been feeling bad, my friend. Your enchiladas look so yummy!

The Contessa said...

I was sick for 10 days with a stomach virus. Yuck! The best way to come back from that is Mexican food. I had chile rellenos, rice and chips and salsa.
Works everytime to revive the spirit!

Kim (Sunflower Supper Club) said...

These sound yummy! I love to see what you bring to the Weekend Potluck! Have a wonderful weekend!
~Kim

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe is being featured today on Menu & Party Idea Round Up!
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=28946
Thank you for sharing your recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday #39!
---Sheryl---