Everyday Mom's Meals: State Fair Treat
_____

Saturday, September 3, 2011

State Fair Treat

Each August we head 2 hours south to our state capital, and the Indiana State Fair,  for a day of fun: rides, exhibits, animals, and OH the food! How can you resist a trip down junk food alley w/ all of the yummy smells begging you to try them? I know everyone has their favorites, and we are no exception. Mine? Probably a toss of lemonade shake ups and fried veggies. (Although this year I had a lamb burger and it was DELICIOUS). Adam's is salt water taffy and pork burgers. Alex--well, Alex just loves food, so he's pretty happy w/ everything. Each year there is a new food to try at the fair. This year it was deep fried Kool Aid (which I've heard tastes like a cherry doughnut). But a few years back it was "pigs in mud". Also known as chocolate covered bacon. There were plenty of people that were turning their nose up at the idea but my family was more than willing to try it. For those of us that enjoy sweet and salty together in one bite, it's the perfect harmony of the two. I have pictures of Alex diving into the paper "boat" of 6 slices and he has chocolate everywhere! From his elbows to his ears, and you can just tell he is savoring each bite. Sadly this year, the Pigs in Mud truck was not at our fair. I had one disappointed little boy. Luckily, a 6 years sadness is quickly forgotten w/ a huge bag of cotton candy :) But I promised myself I would give it a try on my own as a first day after school treat. Disclaimer: This is NOT the typical snack I feed my child after school. I just had to say that. This was special to show my Monkey that Mommy missed him, was thinking of him all day, and all the memories we made during our trip to the fair.

Pigs in Mud Chocolate Covered Bacon


12 slices bacon (I used the precooked. It stays flat and makes this quick)
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1 TBS shortening

For the precooked bacon, place on microwave safe plate and cook 5 seconds per slice. I did mine in 2 batches of 6, for 30 seconds each. Drain on paper towels. In a glass bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening. Cook in microwave or approximately 1-2 minutes until melted. Mine took about a minute and a half. Stir to combine until smooth. With a pastry brush, coat each slice w/ chocolate, on both sides, leaving about an inch at the end to hold.  Place on wax paper and chill until set. Garnish w/ powdered sugar.


Shared on Jam Hands Sept. 5, 2011
Shared on Home Savvy A to Z Sept. 5, 2011
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Sept. 5, 2011
Shared on Sweetology Sept. 5, 2011
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 6, 2011
Shared on Chef in Training Sept. 6, 2011
Shared on Hugs & Cookies Sept. 6, 2011
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Sept. 7, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch Sept. 7, 2011
Shared on Recipes For My Boys Sept. 8, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 8, 2011
Shared on Something Swanky Sept. 8, 2011
Shared on Mangoes & Chutney Sept. 9, 2011
Shared on Gooseberry Patch Nov. 16, 2011

Pin It

10 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

OH YEAH!!!

sweet and salty is amazing. I make this a couple times a year and yeah, it takes some convincing, but those that dare love it

If you serve to adults, drizzle a little white chocolate or, my favorite is a second dip in caramel...

Caramel chocolate covered bacon... NOW WE'RE TALKIN!!!

Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers said...

Krista! How funny, I was just talking about this the other day. I plan to make it at Christmas. I call it "Pig Candy".

annies home said...

yummy

DANIELLE said...

NOW THIS IS UNIQUE!!!!! WOW!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks delish! I'd also love to do some with white chocolate :)

I found this post at the Recipe Round Up over at Gooseberry Patch. I'm listed there too!

-Carrie

Dreamgoddess said...

My daughter loves the chocolate covered bacon sold at World Market, but it's sooo expensive! I kept saying I was going to try making some for her. This has inspired me to give it a try!

Miranda | Mangoes and Chutney said...

I have not had chocolate covered bacon, but I have had a bacon candy bar which I love. Another interesting new thing to try! Thank you for linking to Fat Camp Friday. Enjoy your weekend!

Jacqueline said...

Whoah, out of my scope of imagination! I may have to try it!

Miz Helen said...

What an awesome treat, I would just love this recipe! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come back soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

I have never had it but am Oh So Willing to try! Thank you for sharing on Recipes For My Boys Thursday's Treasures. <3 and Hugs!