Everyday Mom's Meals: For The Veggie Lovers
_____

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

For The Veggie Lovers

I love vegetables. Never really met one I didn't like. But I love meat too. So while I know I could never be a vegetarian (I'm sorry I love my bacon and medium rare steaks a little too much) I have great respect for those who are, and one especially. My sister in law Charla is a vegetarian, so I'm always on the look out for great recipes that I think she would enjoy, and most of the time they are ones I could fix for my family as well and know we wouldn't miss the meat. I think it's a very healthy lifestyle choice and I think I could even do it for a while but I know myself and eventually the smell of an open fire w/ animal flesh searing away would lure me back in. But that's okay. To each their own, and I can have the best of both worlds. I can enjoy the yummy veggie only dishes I find to share w/ her, and know the next day I can have a big juicy pork chop if I choose:) I saw this in the current issue of Woman's Day magazine and immediately texted Char and said "I found a recipe I think you'll love". Her and my brother in law Joel live in Bloomington, and enjoy visiting the local farmer's markets on the weekends, so what better time of the year to try a recipe w/ zucchini?? So even if you're like me, and enjoy your meats, give this one a whirl and see what you think. (Char if you're reading this, I hope you enjoy it too!)

Spaghetti with Roasted Zucchini

12 oz. spaghetti
3 TBS olive oil
2 1/2 inch thick slices fresh bread, torn into 1 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves smashed
4 small zucchini (about 1 lb) sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
1/4 c. flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 TBS grated lemon zest

Heat oven to 425. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, return to pot and mix w/ 1 TBS oil. Meanwhile in a food processor pulse the bread and garlic until the bread is coarse crumbs and the garlic is chopped. In a large bowl, toss the zucchini, red pepper, remaining oil and 1/2 tsp salt. Add Parmesan and bread crumb mixture and toss to combine. Spread the zucchini mixture on 2 baking sheets and roast until zucchini is tender and brown, 10-12 minutes. Toss pasta w/ zucchini mixture, lemon zest and parsley.

*NOTE* For a one-pan meal, skip the pasta and toss 1 lb large raw peeled and deveined shrimp with the zucchini and bread crumb mixture before roasting.

Shared on Julie's Eats & Treats July 16, 2011
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box July 18, 2011

 Photo Courtesy of Woman's Day

Zucchini on FoodistaZucchini

1 comment:

Medifast Coupons said...

Great recipe, love the addition of the zucchini.