Everyday Mom's Meals: Happy Thanksgiving From The EMM Family
_____

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving From The EMM Family

I hope your turkey is in the refrigerator thawing and your shopping list has been conquered. It is almost time! Thanksgiving is only a few days away, and I'm starting to drool! 

After last year's holiday being very different for many of us, I pray your gatherings involve more family, hugs and laughter this year. I know I'm looking forward to hosting again and have my to-do lists made!

What lists you ask? Let me tell you, making lists for every step of the Turkey Day process can save your sanity. Here are the lists I currently have:

  • Things to make ahead
  • Times things need to go into oven
  • Serving dishes I need for every course
  • Order of preparation day of

I'm telling you, out of all of them the oven times is the one I will rely on most! Since my turkey will take up most of my oven space, I need to time other things to fit and then to finish once the turkey is resting. No guess work when it come time for that Green Bean Casserole- just check the list!  

I tested this recipe over a month ago and as soon as I shared the picture with friends they were going nuts over it! "Is that squash with a PRALINE topping??" Yes, yes it is! 

This side dish is as easy as can be, and is a real showstopper coming out of the oven. Now, in full disclosure, if you are serving a huge crowd, making a half for each person would never work, but if you just have a few coming to dinner, I love serving them just like this, giving each person a pretty squash half on their plate. 

If you do need to serve many, the preparation would still be the same, except when they came out of the oven, I would carefully pour the pecan topping from each into a separate bowl, scrape the cooked squash into a large bowl and then top with the reserved praline topping. 

This is the perfect autumn pairing of sweet and savory. We love squash, and the addition of brown sugar and pecans takes it over the top. 

I hope you and yours have a truly Happy Thanksgiving! Take a minute between the cooking and entertaining to look around and thank God for all the blessings you have in your life. And for our family, you, my faithful fans and followers, are definitely on that list!

 Praline Roasted Acorn Squash

2 large acorn squash, halved and cleaned

4 TBS butter, room temp

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Once the squash is halved, cut a small piece of flesh off bottom of each halve. This makes them more stable to sit without falling over. In a bowl combine softened butter and brown sugar until smooth. Rub mixture over each squash halve, covering edges and middle. Equally divide pecans into each squash. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place squash on baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour- 1 hour 20 minutes until squash is tender when poked with fork. Serve as is.

 

Shared at Weekend Potluck
 

No comments: