Everyday Mom's Meals: Learn Something New Every Day
_____

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Learn Something New Every Day

For my entire life, the epitome of potato salad recipes has been my Grammy's. It has been the quintessential one that all others have been judged by. It is so much of a favorite that we almost served it at our wedding, but decided it was a little too much work for our lovely neighbor lady who was making the food for all 250+ guests for free.

My dad's mother is the ultimate baker and cook. You've heard me mention her many times on here because she is such an inspiration in the kitchen. Both of my grandmas were/are. Ironically while Grammy's potato salad was the one we always loved the most, it was my other Grandma's macaroni salad we craved. It was like playing fair with our summer side dishes.

For Father's Day last month, I decided to make this potato salad for the first time. I always knew the secret to its awesome flavor was in the dressing. And I had always known it was a cooked dressing. In fact, the first time I made my husband's favorite Amish Potato Salad, we said the cooked dressing it has, was very similar. But here is the one BIG difference, and the thing I didn't know until just a few weeks ago. Grammy's potato salad has NO mayonnaise in it. Not a drop.

When I asked my cousin for the recipe, I even questioned it saying "seriously?" I always thought it did! It takes a lot to shock me, and this little revelation certainly did.

So, there I was the night before Father's Day, trying my hand at this miracle dressing. Guess what...be sure you follow the directions well, because the warning I give about ending up with scrambled eggs 100% happened to me! Yep. Threw the first batch out and started again. See, even us food bloggers screw up!

My dad was SO surprised when he took that first bite and it was such a huge treat for him on his special day. I was happy to do that for him, and even happier that now I have the recipe we can enjoy this anytime we want, and for generations to come!

Grammy's Potato Salad
6 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 TBS butter
Black Pepper to taste

In a large pot, cover potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 10-12 minutes until fork tender. Drain well. Cool. In a large bowl, combine potatoes and eggs. In a medium pan, mix water and vinegar. Heat over medium-low heat. DO NOT allow to boil. In a medium bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt. Add eggs and mix until smooth. Add a few teaspoons of warm vinegar mixture to egg mixture to temper. Add egg mixture into vinegar mixture on stove. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.  Remove from heat, stir in butter. Allow to cool. Add to potato mixture. Season with pepper, and more salt if desired. *NOTES* Do not skip the step of adding a few teaspoons of the warm vinegar mixture to the egg mixture. This is tempering. You have to get the egg mixture warm so that when you add it to vinegar mixture you don't end up with scrambled eggs. Dressing can be stored in the fridge for a couple weeks, so you can make it ahead. This dressing is also delicious on macaroni salad.





Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: