Everyday Mom's Meals: Two Favorites, One Bowl
_____

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Two Favorites, One Bowl

One of the things I love to experiment most with in the kitchen is combining two favorites into one new, delicious dish. What do I mean? Well, for tasty examples, check out my Taco Spaghetti, Skillet Cheeseburger Pasta, Pizza Gnocchi Bake and Philly Sloppy Joes!

Whenever I make one of these new creations, I am always reminded of an old episode of Full House. Michelle was trying to earn a cooking badge, and she decided the easiest way to do this would be to take two things she liked and combine them into a new dish. Yeah, she was like 6 or 7 at the time, so it didn't go too well. I distinctly remember her family being subjected to "tuna ice cream." She like tuna fish sandwiches. She liked ice cream. It was sure to be a hit! NOT! 
Thankfully, I've never taken it to that extreme, but that image always gives me a giggle. Trust me when I say this combo is way more yummy! 

I know we are far from cookout season, but I know without a doubt this is going to show up on our deck lots this year! To be hones though, sometimes I just need a "warm weather" meal in the middle of winter to remember what those flavors are. This was the perfect side to some hot dogs, and the leftovers were delicious the next day for lunch! 

Finding new ways to enjoy favorites, combining them in new unique ways, is a great way to feel more creative in the kitchen. What are some of your favorite two favorites in one dish recipes?

Coleslaw Pasta Salad
1 lb. ditalini pasta
1 lb. tri-color coleslaw mix
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 large cucumber, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. mayo
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
 1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. dried parsley
Salt and Pepper

Boil pasta according to package directions, rinse with cold water and drain well. In a large bowl combine pasta, coleslaw mix, red pepper and cucumber. Toss to combine. In a medium bowl whisk together mayo, vinegar, sugar, onion powder, parsley, salt and pepper until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Pour over coleslaw mixture. Stir well. Cover and chill 4-6 hours before serving.


Shared at Weekend Potluck
Shared at Meal Plan Monday

No comments: