Everyday Mom's Meals: One Bite Winner
_____

Sunday, April 22, 2018

One Bite Winner


After so many years of doing this, sometimes it is hard to get the reaction to a new recipe I'm hoping for from my boys. The teenager is usually easier to sell than Mr. E, because let's face it, he would pretty much eat the tongue of his shoe if Mommy took the time to heat it up, and maybe covered it in cheese.

It isn't that the hubby isn't thankful or enjoys my cooking or effort, I think it is simply the fact new recipes are such a normal around here, he is used to it. While other husbands might find themselves in a rut with what is for supper every night (and believe me, we fall into those too), my job is to make sure I have new things to share with all of you, so he reaps the benefits.

So last week when I decided to give this one a go, I certainly wasn't prepared for the reaction I got. Let me set the scene for you. Mr. E was actually late getting home from work, not much, but enough that the boys and I had already finished supper by the time he walked in the door.

After tweaking it a bit, cooking it, photographing it and finally sitting down to eat it, Alex and I had declared it to be really yummy. "Oh Mom, this is really good", and I agreed. (Max had eaten earlier and was happily munching on some toddler puff snacks, but he did have a couple macaronis, and even he was happy.)

Then it was daddy's turn. He came home. Said hi to the boys and sat down to eat. He had asked me earlier in the day what was for supper, so he knew it was a new casserole. And that's when it happened. From the other room, after about only 20 seconds, enough time he could have taken one or two bites, I hear, "Wow. This is really good. Mmmm. Yeah, I would eat more of this."

Was I hearing things? Was he actually making a big deal out of a new recipe? Excited even? Yes, yes he was. That's when I knew I had a winner. Something that could be put on the dinner rotation permanently. Yay!!

So there you have it. The 100% endorsement from my house to yours. I hope if you try it, you get as much warm and fuzzy feedback as I did! After all, the cook always likes to be complimented, no matter how long we've been doing it!

Nacho Beef Casserole
1 lb. elbow macaroni
1 lb. ground beef
1 (7 oz.) can diced green chilies, reserve 2 TBS
1 TBS taco seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1 (10 oz.) can cheddar cheese soup
2/3 cup milk
1 cup finely shredded Colby Jack cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pickled jalapenos  

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Boil pasta to al dente. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown beef. Drain if necessary. Add green chilies. Stir well. In a medium bowl whisk soup and milk. Add chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well.  When pasta is cooked, drain well. Add to skillet with beef. Pour sauce in. Gently stir to combine. Transfer to baking dish. Top with shredded cheese and extra green chilies. Bake for 20 minutes until set and cheese has melted. Garnish with jalapenos. 


No comments: