Everyday Mom's Meals: You Have To Indulge
_____

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

You Have To Indulge

I'm going to begin this post by addressing the fact that I know without a doubt this recipe is going to ruffle some feathers. There are those out there who are going to look at it and think I'm evil simply for serving it to my family. Why? Because there is not one ounce of nutrition in it. Please know ahead of time, I realize that. I know that. I take full responsibility for my actions. Please do not send hate mail. Please do not comment with the fat and caloric intake. I am fully aware of what I created here; and my defense is simply this...sometimes you have to indulge. 

Look, I know we live in a world where we are bombarded with fitness and nutrition 24 hours a day. And I am a huge supporter of both. Yes, please make sure your kids are active and getting the proper food every single day. Yes, we all need to watch the number of processed, pre-packaged, convenience foods we include in our diets. But like I've said before, and I'm going to say again, we live by the motto of "all things in moderation." We don't deny ourselves the things we love to eat. We just make sure we balance them with those that we know are best for our bodies. 

So yeah, on one particular evening when I was busy, tired and starving, I found a bag of frozen tater tots in my freezer and decided to ramp them a little bit. Give them a little extra flare. But you know why that was okay? Because the following night I made some healthy grilled chicken and a veggie salad on the side. It all balances out. 

These are something the kids are going to love. And if you are in "back to school" mode, you are going to love how easy they are for a weeknight meal. I also think they would be a fun appetizer for your next party...kind of like tater nachos! 

We are all trying to eat better, exercise more, take care of ourselves and do what all those smart doctors tell us we need to live longer, healthier lives. But once in a while, you just have to say to yourself "It's okay. I deserve this treat. I earned it"...and these are just the dish to use!

Loaded Tater Tots
1 (32 oz.) bag tater tots
2 TBS chopped chives
3/4 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 c. real bacon bits
Sour Cream

Cook tater tots according to package directions, adding about 5 minutes for extra crispy. Remove from oven. Transfer to a 9x13 pan. Top with cheese and bacon. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chives and top with sour cream.



 

Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 8, 2014

Potatoes at Very Good Recipes

No comments: